Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trees in the Fog

Real Name
    Bill S

Trees in the Fog

I took this photo back on my trip to Bali, Indonesia. We were supposed to be getting a beautiful view of one of the volcanoes, but a rain storm rolled in a fog bank that covered everything. As the cloud shifted and pulsed these trees appeared. I basically had just enough time to fire this shot off before they were gone again.

Please feel free to be as honest as you please for C&C. Also, this is SOOC, so any ideas for ways to work it in PP would be appreciated, but I will warn that I only have it in JPG format as I had not yet started capturing RAW at the time.

Trees in the Fog

Thanks!

- Bill

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Re: Trees in the Fog

I really like the mystical look and feel to it. I did a black and white version of it and it looks good that way also. I like the black and white version just a little better but I think either version would look good hanging on a wall in the right location.

Chuck

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Bill

As you implicitly acknowledge, your capacity for editing is restricted given that you just have a JPEG. But I'm not sure it needs very much anyway.

I am assuming this is the whole frame; i.e. you haven't cropped. If that is the case, the only thing I would have wished for was that the branches and leaves at the left-hand side were not hard up against the edge.
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd April 2011 at 08:19 AM.

Real Name
    Bill S

Chuck: Thanks! I liked the look too. To me, it felt like that kind of classic look you get during a wildlife special or similar. That was the look I was going for at least.

Donald: Thanks for the comment - I'm always glad to hear that my photos don't need a ton in the way of edits. The shot is the whole frame, and I agree with you that the branches being hard up against the left edge is a bit annoying. Perhaps I will look into cloning them out a little tonight.

- Bill