Thread: Sports Photography Tips

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Sports Photography Tips

Hi everyone,
    I just posted some tips on “Sports Photography.”

I hope it's useful. If nothing else, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Re: Sports Photography Tips

Thanks for the tips, Peter .. I may never get to concentrate on sport, but am saving your link for the day when...
    Now I'm a bit distressed because I have one particular sport image to show you but can't find the b.....!

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Pete,

"Their attitude towards soccer was understandable since US soccer has an image problem"

Do tell? We don't get to hear much about what you call (cringes horribly as though the fingernails of death screech down the blackboard of life) "Soccer" from across the pond.

I love the blog, BTW!

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Mark,
    Thanks for your words of encouragement on the blog.

Are you sure you want to hear about US Soccer?

Every time I read something in the newspapers here, it absolutely kills me.

Ready or not, here goes:

1.Which football-playing nation would ever think of hiring a coach who has never played the game internationally? Note, neither Steve Sampson, Bruce Arena nor Bob Bradley has ever played professionally or selected to play for the national team?

2. No disrespect to Becks, but the money MLS spent on bringing him over could have been spent on luring more quality players instead of one. Didn't they learn that anything?

Beckenbauer, Pele, George Best et al played here in their twilight years. Yet they seriously thought one man can do what those stars collectively couldn't?

Sorry I'm going to shut up. I'll be banned if I continue. Please feel free to delete this post Admins

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Pete that's nothing, mate!

I seem to remember the U.S. giving England some problems in a world cup a few years ago!

Pete, you should see what the British "press" prints here every week, not only about sport!

Trust me, your lot are tame.

Real Name
    Peter Phun

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseablue View Post
    Pete that's nothing, mate!

I seem to remember the U.S. giving England some problems in a world cup a few years ago!

Pete, you should see what the British "press" prints here every week, not only about sport!
    Mark, U.S soccer will never amount to much. I can't imagine something like this happening anywhere else in the world.

When the US Mens plays in an important match, you can't get the game on any mainstream English speaking network.

Thank God for the Spanish stations here in Southern California. Hey, this has nothing to do with photography, sorry. But I did ask you to not get me started.

Real Name
    Patrik

I tried to connect with "action photography". Could not find where to go so here I attach my somewhat weird photo. It's actually action of "me-self", not the object. And I would probably not recommend it but it was fun trying it out / Patrik

Sports Photography Tips

Real Name
    John

I liked your 2009 entry, a bit more humor involved with some good learning points. Thanks for linking.

Real Name
    Richard

This Scott Kelby YouTube video is pretty interesting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4KsGYDzgU

Real Name
    Patrik

Thanks Shadowman. Yes I often look over old photos ( hope there isn't a date limit for this forum ) and try to see if any can be of interest to others, not only for quality or composition but photos that are funny or intriguing.
    Cheers / Patrik

Real Name
    Debra

The tips you gave are helpful. Can you give any advice about obtaining media passes? I have been going to a couple small venue flat track motorcycle events to gain experience with that sport. I was lucky to get a media pass to a large event this weekend with the help of one of the people in the smaller venues. I did note, however, that we signed a release and within that release it mentioned that media passes were not meant for people who sell photos for profit and that it was expected that the photos taken at this event were to be used for promotional use / commercial use only, etc. However, other photographers at the same event have websites and do sell photos for profit. So do you just keep out some of the photos you take and set them aside for use for the event promoters only and its okay to still sell some of the other photos for profit to the participants in the event? I don't want to blow this. So for now, I have photos uploaded to my website for the participants and am picking out good shots to keep in a "not for sale" folder for sharing with media and event promoters if they are ever interested.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DebraM63 View Post
    The tips you gave are helpful. Can you give any advice about obtaining media passes? I have been going to a couple small venue flat track motorcycle events to gain experience with that sport. I was lucky to get a media pass to a large event this weekend with the help of one of the people in the smaller venues. I did note, however, that we signed a release and within that release it mentioned that media passes were not meant for people who sell photos for profit and that it was expected that the photos taken at this event were to be used for promotional use / commercial use only, etc. However, other photographers at the same event have websites and do sell photos for profit. So do you just keep out some of the photos you take and set them aside for use for the event promoters only and its okay to still sell some of the other photos for profit to the participants in the event? I don't want to blow this. So for now, I have photos uploaded to my website for the participants and am picking out good shots to keep in a "not for sale" folder for sharing with media and event promoters if they are ever interested.
    Debra,

For the motorcycle event, did the promoters state "commercial use" for their website or organization? Can't see how preventing photographer from making profit yet allowing for commercial us could be separated unless the venue maintains all rights to the images. The linked website, while a bit dated; has some good information on image rights and might provide ideas on obtaining media passes.

http://www.danheller.com/

Real Name
    Debra

Thanks! Will read it. The release I signed did state that media passes weren't meant for "those who sell photos ... for purposes other than editorial coverage". I figure that was only referring to the images taken at their event because there were other photographers there who have websites where they sell. The dilemma is that you have a hard time getting a media pass if no one like a magazine or newspaper has "purchased" some of your photos but if you can't get into an event - how to get newsworthy pics. I will go to the link you provided - thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Debra - without access to the actual release you signed, it is impossible to say for sure what you agreed to.

At a high level, what you have written suggests to me that the event was okay if the pictures were taken for use in online or traditional media; i.e. magazines or newspapers. This would give the event coverage and would of course be beneficial to the group putting on the event. If you went on to sell the images taken at the event to a photo stock agency (which you probably could not do without a release from both the event organizers and the event participants; i.e. a property release and a personal release), there would be nothing in it for the event organizers, so why would they give you permission?

With respect to the scope of the release, it covers that event only. If people publish images they have taken at other events and put them on their websites, it has absolutely nothing to do with this event you are asking about and would not be covered by the release that you have signed.

In terms of getting a media pass, that is up to the event organizers. If they want to give you one, whether or not you have sold any to magazines or newspapers, is somewhat irrelevant. I know of one recent high profile music event that happened not far from where I live. The event organizers did not offer ANY media passes and only allowed their own photographer to do event images, which they offered to the media. Nicely said, their event, their site - their rules, whether you like it or not.