Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Reflections

Real Name
    Mick Stones

Reflections

My first upload on this site, hope i`v got it right, C&C wecome.
    Derwent water Cumbria UK.

Reflections

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Reflections

Mick

Yep, you've got it right.

That is a nicely constructed image - well exposed. A scene of peace and harmony!

I felt that that big block of cloud right out at the extreme right hand edge is maybe a bit too distracting. It's dragging my eyes over to that edge instead of my attention being focused into the heart of the image.

I also wondered if you needed so much water in the foreground - if you cut some of the bottom, would that allow us to concentrate more on the land and its reflection?

So, something to think about maybe - A crop that starts just at the bottom of the reflection of the pier leg and drags the rectangle to just to the right hand side of that big clump of cloud. Might not work, but maybe worth looking at. I think it would also make the snow covered mountain really become central feature of the background.

Real Name
    Tommy

I think this is stunning.

The one thing I find distracting in images like this, and I may be alone here, is that when I see a perfectly symmetrically reflected image like this i look for areas of imbalance. I.e. areas that are not reflected and vice versa. For me it has to be a perfect reflection and it isn't quite. You need to crop a tiny bit off the top to achieve this. But, like I said, this is my own personal preference. I am fairly new to photgraphy so take what I say with a pinch of salt!

I would be extremely pleased with myself had I taken this image!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Nice job on this one, Mick. It's hard to capture water reflection with perfect stillness but you did it. Nice. Donald and Tommy has some good points. Putting the horizon on the 1/3 focal planes can work as they say. Still, it depends on your willingness to try it. Very nice, work!

Real Name
    Mick Stones

Thanks for the comments,
    is this any better?

Reflections

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mick J S View Post
    Thanks for the comments,
    is this any better?

Reflections
    I think so. Will be interested to read what others say.

What do you think yourself (which is all that really matters)?

Real Name
    Chris

I like the edit, but it almost makes the high contrast of the pier pilings look over done whereas before, the overly bright clod tended to compensate for the pier...maybe a little selective light burning to tone them down just a scoosh.

Real Name
    Mick Stones

I like the original post the best, although the edited one looks more balanced I like the layers of light on the mountains on the left, and as minichris sugested, the bright cloud helps even out the bright sunlight on the pier posts, I also think there is three or four images within the main image with careful use of the cropping tool.

Wow this picture is so amazing. It looks like im looking in a mirror.

First of all, great shot. I love the glassy water and misty mountains in the background.

Was there any way you could have made the pier more central in the image? To my eyes it's just a bit too far to the edge of the frame. I find it draws my eyes away from the other elements and doesn't really compliment them to the extent that it could.

I tried my hand with an edit here. I cropped it more panorama and did a quick and dirty healing-brush treatment, just to see what it would look like without that chunk of cloud.

Reflections

I don't know. I think the elements of your shot are top-notch it's just balancing them in the right way to end up with a well composed image. If I were you I'd shoot here quite often. It's very picturesque.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice shot Mick, reminds me just how much I miss the Lakes Lovely light and a very Lakeland feel to it, good saturated colour as well. Interestingly enough I started looking at this on my secondary monitor which is about 1/3 to half a stop down on my main monitor (callibration issue - not deliberate) and the colours are very rich - moving it across to my main monitor it then looks just a trifle overexposed - maybe personal preference but to me the slightly darker version is much richer.
    As it stands it's a really nice shot, any suggestions for composition are done with 20/20 hindsight I think Contrary to most others opinion (as usual) I would probably leave the bottom of the picture intact and crop some of the top. I think the reflection of the cloud on the left and the bright pier on the right kind of balance and lead the eye in to those lovely reflections.
    There you go, with so many different suggestions you usually find you're on the right track to start with and it starts boiling down to personal preference.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    There you go, with so many different suggestions you usually find you're on the right track to start with and it starts boiling down to personal preference.
    And, as others have said before - when we're having this sort of exchange, it's a sure sign that there was a beautiful picture there to start with and all we're doing is discussing options based on personal preferences.

Real Name
    Mick Stones

Well, thanks to everyone for responding to my post, it was very interesting to read the different comments, Derwent Water is one of my favourite shooting places, I will be posting another one soon, hope I get the same reaction .

Mick.