Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rotational Play with 100-400mm lens

Real Name
    Pat

Rotational Play with 100-400mm lens

I have a 100-400mm lens that was bought secondhand and it has a small amount of rotational play and I am concerned that it may get worse and even cause damage to the camera body lens mount.
    Can this be fixed,when I use the lens my being shudders when my ears detect the clink sound between it and the body.
    Best Wishes,
    Pat

Re: Rotational Play.

My first thought, Pat, is how about your other lenses? There is often a little bit of rotation slackness between lens and body. I have slight slackness with my 40D and all lenses.

If it is a serious amount with just this lens, it would probably be worth getting that lens fixed. If it is a simple replacement lens mount which just entails a few screws being removed and a new ring fitted, it shouldn't be too expensive.

But if there is any distortion or other problems it may be more expensive; although even then I wouldn't expect a lens strip down, clean and repair to be more than £200 or thereabouts which would still be worthwhile for that lens.

I don't know where the Irish Canon approved repairers are based but assume there must be someone there who can do this sort of job. Alternatively there are a few approved UK repair companies.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Geoff,
    It is just with this lens that the problem is.You have put my mind at ease with your reply.
    I will look into getting it fixed now that I know it can be,hopefully at not to big a price.
    Best Wishes,
    Pat.

Real Name
    Kathy

Um, just a random thought, but have you tried just tightening the screws on the back of the mount? (Obviously, taking care not to strip the screws or over-tighten). If this is an older lens, they might just have gotten loose over time.

I did get the problem which Kathy suggested with my 180 macro lens last year; but it was more of an all round wobble, like the tripod mount was lose.

But it is certainly something worth checking.

Real Name
    Pat

I checked the screws and in so doing came across this,

Rotational Play with 100-400mm lens

Should there be a screw here,and if so it appears to have been sheared off.
    Best Wishes
    Pat

It rather looks that way, Pat; and that metal lip above the screws also appears to be broken, but you can tell better than me if you use a magnifying glass.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Geoff,
    Yes there seems to be some damage ok,I located a canon approved repairers in Dublin and shall contact them and enquire about what surgery may be needed.
    Pat.