Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some Spring Flowers

Real Name
    Elise

Some Spring Flowers

An office building near my house is built around a courtyard where they have lovely landscaping. In between rain storms today, I ran over there and tried to capture some of the lovely flowers, dripping with the rain --

Some Spring Flowers

Some Spring Flowers

Some Spring Flowers

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Some Spring Flowers

Very nice set of images, Elise. Definitely Elise' style. I like #3 a lot for its very nice use of color contrast. Another set of awesome work from you. Good job!

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks so much --

Very pretty and subtle, Elise! I like #1 and #3 more than #2, though. I think that the out of focus branch in the upper right third is a little imposing, in my mind, and the "frame" is a little busy. The first leaf that I notice is the oak leaf and that seems strange with the delicate subject. What do you think? The colors in #3.....sigh. So lovely!

I also like #3 the best for both the subject and the background. In #1 and #2, the colors of the flowers, although complementary, are too similar to the backgrounds. Like Katy said, the branch in #2 has too much 'weight' and would be better blurred or faded. All three of these photos take a more artistic point of view on photograph that leaves behind precise sharpness and technical detail, which is refreshing to see.

Real Name
    Elise

Thanks, Katy and John -- if the truth be told, I am not really happy with either #1 or #2 -- I'm trying to recapture/do a better job at a shot I did three years ago of the same flowers, and so far it's not working. (see that one, below) Maybe I'll keep working on those -- maybe not. I liked the idea of the "interesting" texture better than I like how it came out.

Some Spring Flowers

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Elise: #1 is my favourite, but you know how I love tone on tone. I think I would like it even better though without the dark border, and if possible, just a little more definition or contrast on the flower. It really is lovely though. I try to think in textures now when I shoot, but I'm afraid I don't have much imagination for it. It will come though, I know it will, because I love this style so much.

I like the subject matter in number 2, but it looks a bit crowded to me and I'm not too sure about the leaves in the border. My limited imaginiation sees somthing like the texture in #1 and if possible recrop to give the subject more space OR if that is not possible some kind of darker tone around the edge of the shot but then include the texture in the same tone outside the darker border to kind of give the illusion of more space around the floral. Does that make sense??

No 3 is also beautiful but the tone on tone pastels get my vote every time.

Wendy