Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How to sell prints guide

Real Name
    Pops

How to sell prints guide

http://www.photoshelter.com/mkt/how-to-sell-prints

Adorama and PhotoShelter are offering a free guide on "how to sell prints." I thought some here might be interested.

It is a plug for you to sign up for a membership at PhotoShelter, about whom I know nothing. I haven't yet received my copy of the guide, so I can't yet critique it. I have enough faith in Adorama, though, to feel comfortable in telling you about this offer.

Pops

Real Name
    Elise

Re: How to sell prints guide

Well, that's very timely, given my other post. I downloaded it and will read it with interest! Thanks for the link.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Pops! I have ordered mine. Definitely worth a look.

Mike

Real Name
    Elise

One thing that's interesting right away is a link to the NPPA's calculator of the cost of doing business --

Real Name
    Steaphany

Taking a look at the PhotoShelter web site, it is one of many sties targeted towards photographers to conduct and facilitate online print sales. To open things up and show that PhotoShelter is not alone, here are some others that I have known prior to this thread:

and I'm sure there are many more.

For a bit on contrast, this month's March 2011 issue of RANGEFINDER has an article in their "behind the shutter" column "Online vs. In-studio Sales, How to Change Your Sales Averages Forever" by Sal Cincotta where Sal writes:

When we first started our business in late 2007, we really didn’t know any better and just figured online sales was the way to go. I mean, after all, it seemed simple enough, take some great pictures, edit them, post them online and watch the money roll in.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. We quickly ran into all sorts of issues and sales that quite frankly, sucked. I remember thinking to myself, how are we ever going to survive this way?
    Prior to in-studio sales, our engagement sales average was roughly $150. Today, our engagement sales average is north of $1400. Do I have your attention now?
    I've been a member of Imagekind since August of 2009, operating both as a free and paid level member. ( See the "My Photography" link in my signature ) I've had Imagekind produce prints and they do excellent work. Their product offerings are not as varied as other on demand photography sale sites or photography labs, but their prints, framed prints, and mounted canvas prints would fit the bill for what most people would want. Since I have no need to invest in equipment or equipment maintenance, Imagekind is great since they handle all that themselves as well as the framing services. To top it all off, they can easily handle a print size of 40" x 60", 102 cm x 152 cm.

As for a means to generate exposure, more people have seen my photography through Imagekind in the past two years than all the years prior.

To date, Imagekind reports that the images in my Photos gallery has received 12,617 views.
    Other members of Imagekind have left comments on my work, some have "Favorited" them, and the reports allow me to see what subject matter gets the greatest attention.

The sales over that very same period, 0.

Sal Cincotta's article made me realize that to entice anyone to purchase a print of my photography, my images versus contract photography for a client, potential customers need to see a physical print that can be put in front of their own eyes. That means I need to invest the money up front to have the prints produced, framed, and some how exhibited.

Does anyone have any experience here ? I have the production down, it's the exhibition side that I need help with.
    Last edited by Steaphany; 26th March 2011 at 02:33 AM.