Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Columns

Real Name
    Tommy

Columns

Here is a shot I took at the University of Greenwich in London purely for the purposes of an online photo assignment on another website I frequent. It's not the sort of shot that I would usually take so any C&C would be greatly appreciated.

| Nikon D90 | 18-105mm @ 105mm | f/20 | 1/100sec | ISO 200 | Converted RAW to B&W in ACR and cropped and sharpened in CS5

Columns

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Columns

Nice. I like the perspective and the use of repetitive elements. I think you did great on this assignment of yours, Tommy. Cheers!

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I like it, Tommy. Photo assignments are so great, in that they make us step outside our box or comfort zone.

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks you two for the comments!

Yeah I am pleased with the way this came out. The assignment is "columns and shadows", so i gave them er... columns and shadows! :P

It's true that these kind of assignments are great as I would never have thought about taking this kind of shot, and I could have walked past them a hundred times without thinking about this shot.

Real Name
    Chris

Just as an aside from the cleaness of this image, you might want to keep even your B&W images as RGB's. They tend to print better and definitely keep a higher degree of resolution for sharpening and Web reduction (more pixels to work with). Grayscale loses a lot of image quality.

I like your photo and I think it certainly depicts columns and shadows; however, my eye wanders the photo looking for something to 'break' the pattern of the columns and shadows. I end up wondering if the holes in the first full column are bulletholes. (I've probably been watching too many movies lately).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Tommy

That's a powerful abstract image. What is the assignment that you have been asked to carry out?

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks for the tip Chris

@ John, I take your point, however that is sort of what I wanted - a purely repetetive abstract image.

@ Donald, thanks for your comments. The online assignment is just a monthly themed assignment on another forum that I go to. The theme this month is "columns and shadows". It's quite good as it gets you out there shooting things that you perhaps wouldn't ordinarily think of shooting.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    The theme this month is "columns and shadows".
    In that case, this is an excellent image. If you're working on a pre-defined assignment, in the same way as you'd be working on a commission - you've got to deliver what is requested/being paid for. This is a high quality image that delivers on the brief.
    Last edited by Donald; 27th March 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Real Name
    Tommy

That's very kind. Thank you.

It sounds strange but it means a lot to hear someone like you say something like that