Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Yesterday

Real Name
    John

Yesterday

More experimentation with B&W, I think these are a little better than my last attempt. Please provide your comments at will. I picked up a Wacom Bamboo Fun this past weekend and it came with PS 8.0 plus a couple of other good programs for messing with photos among other things. It has been lots of fun!!

Cheers,
    John

ol-vw-van-bw1c-copy.jpg | 
    ol-vw-van-bw2c.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Yesterday

John,

Normally I wouldn't like a main element of the photo breaking the edges of the frame, but I feel it works ok in the first image (though not as much with the second). Despite knowing full well that that bus won't be moving anywhere any time soon, I think the diagonal composition of the first image lens a sense of movement to the image that I find pleasing; however, the side view just feels two-dimensional and lacking any inviting feeling. Finally, the second image seems far too over-exposed. With the roof of the bus blending into the overcast sky behind it, I feel it takes away from its presence in the scene.

I really like the first image, but just not so much with the second. I'd love to hear your side of things though as sometimes hearing the photographer's story behind the shot can help draw things out for me.

Just my $0.02... and of course that's not worth all that much in this economy.

- Bill

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I would agree with Bill on this. That makes 4 cents for the two of us. Just kidding.

I wish you could have added some extra contrast for some punch. The cropping was really tight that I was still looking for some more extra detail on the wagon. A full side shot is really unique but hard to pull off unless you really have a very strong subject (like a body figure). Nonetheless, still a good work for me.

Personally, I would prefer a lighter weight frame. Currently, I find my eyes being drawn from the rather low contrast photo to the heavy blackness of that frame; particularly with the second image which is a bit lacking in 'density' to start with.

But I can't find anything seriously wrong with the photos.

Real Name
    Chris

I had a go at adding some contrast...hard to work with this file as it is so overexposed.

Yesterday

Real Name
    John

Thank you all for your comments, yes I have to agree the first one is my favorite out of the two as well. A friend of mine gave me a couple of photos and asked if I could turn them into B&W so I turned them and cropped them to death and this was the results. He seemed very pleaseed.

Cheers,

John