Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

  1. #1
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    My family took a trip to San Antonio, TX to bring the kids to SeaWorld. Of course, I took along with me my trusted Nikon D70 and my only 18-70mm zoom lens. During the ride, I got so disappointed with myself for missing a lot of very, very nice opportunity to stop along the highway and take a shot on those very fleeting photographic moments (Wife won't let me ). One of those shots would have been a vast expanse of open field with only 3 dark colored cows in the field bathe in these small ray of light from a small opening in the sky. It was really surreal due to the way the sky just opened up and with how the cows was lighted by that small ray of light. I was really disappointed for about 5 minutes while driving but safety first so I just told myself "maybe I'll find another chance next time."

    Anyway, we arrived in San Antonio safely, got a hotel to stay in, and rested before we brought the kids to SeaWorld. While we were in downtown area and waiting for our turn to cross the street, I noticed this rider on the stop line. I liked the way he handled his bike and his presence. I waited for the chance that he'll see me and he did. Upon eye contact I made a hand gesture pointing to my camera to take a shot. He pointed at me and signaled an OK sign. Woohoo! Without hesitation, as if by instinct, I set my camera to aperture priority, dialed f8 in the opening and fired some shots. I think I was able to take 3 shots before they got their green light and he was gone. What a cool guy!

    Took a trip and got some goodies back home.
    The Biker in San Antonio TX_non bokeh_small by jiro bau, on Flickr
    Thank you very much for viewing.

    --------
    Nikon D70, 18-70mm lens set at 50mm, exposure set at Aperture Priority at ISO 200, f8 at 1/125 second, Matrix Metering, Conversion to b&w at lightroom 3.3, Pseudo HDR using -2 EV, and +3 EV from the actual exposure values. The 3 shots was then processed via NIKSoftware HDR Efex Pro inside Photoshop CS5.
    Last edited by jiro; 21st March 2011 at 07:30 PM.

  2. #2
    djg05478's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    VT, USA
    Posts
    418
    Real Name
    Debbie

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Very very very cool

    ..and I'll have to remember that, I'm always in manual mode, but when you only have a couple seconds to get the shot, put it in aperture and get clicking!

  3. #3
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by djg05478 View Post
    Very very very cool

    ..and I'll have to remember that, I'm always in manual mode, but when you only have a couple seconds to get the shot, put it in aperture and get clicking!
    Thanks, Debbie. I'm always in Manual mode, too 98% of the time. But with fleeting moments, I don't have the luxury to think much so I let the camera calculate the shutter for me. I know that at f/8 he'll be focused even if i missed. There are some more shots that I will post soon.

  4. #4
    mythlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Capitola, CA
    Posts
    748
    Real Name
    Elise

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    I''ve wondered where you were! What a great picture. Now of course, you got a photo release from him, so you can publish it, right??

  5. #5
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I''ve wondered where you were! What a great picture. Now of course, you got a photo release from him, so you can publish it, right??
    How can I get a photo release from him? LOL! I only had about less than 5 seconds to take this shot. I wish I could give him a copy. I wonder, what if I post it online and make a request to identify him? Now that's an adventure! There's really much advantage if you can travel, there are more opportunities to shoot more pictures. Thanks for looking, Elise. Hey, how's your little hobby business doing? Better?

  6. #6
    mythlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Capitola, CA
    Posts
    748
    Real Name
    Elise

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    I should have put a winkie face after my comment, because of course I was joking.

    You can see my account of yesterday's work on my hobby here --

  7. #7
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I should have put a winkie face after my comment, because of course I was joking.

    You can see my account of yesterday's work on my hobby here --
    I knew you were joking. Peace! I'm glad that you have a very handy and dependable friend by your side. People like that are hard to find nowadays. Keep us posted and good luck!

  8. #8

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    I was just wondering, an hour ago (again and rather seriously, at this point), where you've been, too. It sounds like you had a great time. I'm so glad! Yes, this guy looks like the epitome of cool. I want his bike!!! Well, and I want the bridge, too, but I have NO idea what I'd do with it.

  9. #9
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I was just wondering, an hour ago (again and rather seriously, at this point), where you've been, too. It sounds like you had a great time. I'm so glad! Yes, this guy looks like the epitome of cool. I want his bike!!! Well, and I want the bridge, too, but I have NO idea what I'd do with it.
    Thanks, Katy. How come only the ladies are missing me here?

    I learned a lot from this small chance to take some pics outside our yard. I find out where I am weak at on my photographic skills and also the limitations of my Nikon D70. I envy the guys who can push their camera ISO up to the stratosphere. LOL! I really need those high ISO's for those very important fast moments. Of course I also need a fast lens with that. I love low-light photography and I suck at holding my D70 at those slow sub 1-second shutter speeds. All in all, it's still a pretty educational trip for me. The family got angry looking for me most of the time 'coz I end up in different streets shooting to my delight.
    Last edited by jiro; 21st March 2011 at 09:15 PM.

  10. #10
    mythlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Capitola, CA
    Posts
    748
    Real Name
    Elise

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Because a man with a camera in his hand . . . that's our type.

    I had to laugh at your wife not letting you stop on the highway -- my husband is forever saying, "Just tell me if you want to stop for a photo op," but I'm sure he'd get tired very quickly of having to pull over every 10 minutes. I go out driving early in the morning, when the weather is nice, and stop as many times as I want . . .

  11. #11
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Because a man with a camera in his hand . . . that's our type.

    I had to laugh at your wife not letting you stop on the highway -- my husband is forever saying, "Just tell me if you want to stop for a photo op," but I'm sure he'd get tired very quickly of having to pull over every 10 minutes. I go out driving early in the morning, when the weather is nice, and stop as many times as I want . . .
    Well, Elise, that's how it goes when you have different priorities on how make to use of your time. You're blessed to have a very supportive husband. You have to give him a good treat for that!

  12. #12
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,725
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    My family took a trip to San Antonio, TX to bring the kids to SeaWorld. Of course, I took along with me my trusted Nikon D70 and my only 18-70mm zoom lens. During the ride, I got so disappointed with myself for missing a lot of very, very nice opportunity to stop along the highway and take a shot on those very fleeting photographic moments (Wife won't let me ). One of those shots would have been a vast expanse of open field with only 3 dark colored cows in the field bathe in these small ray of light from a small opening in the sky. It was really surreal due to the way the sky just opened up and with how the cows was lighted by that small ray of light. I was really disappointed for about 5 minutes while driving but safety first so I just told myself "maybe I'll find another chance next time."

    Anyway, we arrived in San Antonio safely, got a hotel to stay in, and rested before we brought the kids to SeaWorld. While we were in downtown area and waiting for our turn to cross the street, I noticed this rider on the stop line. I liked the way he handled his bike and his presence. I waited for the chance that he'll see me and he did. Upon eye contact I made a hand gesture pointing to my camera to take a shot. He pointed at me and signaled an OK sign. Woohoo! Without hesitation, as if by instinct, I set my camera to aperture priority, dialed f8 in the opening and fired some shots. I think I was able to take 3 shots before they got their green light and he was gone. What a cool guy!

    Took a trip and got some goodies back home.
    The Biker in San Antonio TX_non bokeh_small by jiro bau, on Flickr
    Thank you very much for viewing.

    --------
    Nikon D70, 18-70mm lens set at 50mm, exposure set at Aperture Priority at ISO 200, f8 at 1/125 second, Matrix Metering, Conversion to b&w at lightroom 3.3, Pseudo HDR using -2 EV, and +3 EV from the actual exposure values. The 3 shots was then processed via NIKSoftware HDR Efex Pro inside Photoshop CS5.
    No more traveling light, bring everything.

  13. #13
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    No more traveling light, bring everything.
    I had to travel light, John... I only have 2 lenses! One 50mm f1.8D and the 18-70mm zoom and that's it.

  14. #14

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I learned a lot from this small chance to take some pics outside our yard.
    We can take pictures outside of our own yards?

    The family got angry looking for me most of the time 'coz I end up in different streets shooting to my delight.
    I love to get lost, too! I thought that I was getting better until I got my camera..... NO! I'm lying! I just always like to get lost! Anyway,"Wanderlust" - even photographic - is very springlike!

    I go out driving early in the morning, when the weather is nice, and stop as many times as I want . . .
    Hmmm, Elise! I think that my next piece of photographic gear needs to be a car!

  15. #15
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    We can take pictures outside of our own yards?

    I love to get lost, too! I thought that I was getting better until I got my camera..... NO! I'm lying! I just always like to get lost! Anyway,"Wanderlust" - even photographic - is very springlike!
    Well, Katy with too many things to be done at the house, the liberty of taking a good time alone with my camera is a luxury for me.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,382
    Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Great picture, Jiro. I missed you, too.

  17. #17
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Great picture, Jiro. I missed you, too.
    Thanks, Mary. I'm glad you gals misses me.

  18. #18
    wilgk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Victoria Australia
    Posts
    2,409
    Real Name
    Kay

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Yep we were just about to send the search party out for you and the scotsman
    very cool biker btw and Katy wants him (or was it his bike?) & the bridge! - I can't stop laughing

  19. #19
    mythlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Capitola, CA
    Posts
    748
    Real Name
    Elise

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Yeah, where is that scotsman, anyway?

  20. #20

    Re: Took a trip and got some goodies back home.

    Even I am wondering where philibeg bedecked one is and I am not a lass. Very nice work Jiro and good to have you back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •