Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Macro flower photographs

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Macro flower photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Thanks wendy, i don't see where your having trouble with the changing tones. I'm not doing anything different from any other image. Perhaps your adding too much contrast. Sometimes that can have a bad effect on places like that.

A rose from yesterday................................

Macro flower photographs
    Nice one Steve. I always like droplets on plants, they photograph beautifully. Did you use a gray background on this one or was that the natural background?

Real Name
    Peter

Two variants on the poppy (papaver)

We have them around the house and my wife is always complaining that the heads are disappearing. Point is that we dont see the flowers elsewhere in the neighbourhood, so either people take them for the seeds (and don't succeed in growing them) or they try to distill opium from them?

Anyways:

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Nice one Steve. I always like droplets on plants, they photograph beautifully. Did you use a gray background on this one or was that the natural background?
    Thanks peter, it was the side of the house it was planted next to, which is why i chose that angle to shoot it. (the only way i could isolate the rose )

Real Name
    Steve

Two variants on the poppy (papaver)

We have them around the house and my wife is always complaining that the heads are disappearing. Point is that we dont see the flowers elsewhere in the neighbourhood, so either people take them for the seeds (and don't succeed in growing them) or they try to distill opium from them?

Nice shots again peter, you certainly have some variety. The second one is very unique.
    Anyways:

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Real Name
    Jim Payne

Hello , over the years I have collected many colors of these poppies, and its a shame that someone tries to get opium out of them.
    Through your seeds out in other areas so that you will always have some growing.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by jimpayne View Post
    Hello , over the years I have collected many colors of these poppies, and its a shame that someone tries to get opium out of them.
    Through your seeds out in other areas so that you will always have some growing.
    It is a shame, but funny at the same time. It is actually a slightly weird lady we found out, that walks her cat on a leash and snips flowers here and there. She even goes into gardens to get them
    Luckily you only need two to three poppies to get a lot of new ones.

Real Name
    Peter

Macro flower photographs
    one of our duneplants, still have to find out which one

something usual

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs
    one of our duneplants, still have to find out which one
    Oh, my! Could it be...is it Queen Anne's Lace? Has the season moved along that fast for you? I should warn you - I'm addicted to photographing QAL (and, I know that I'm not the only one). She has lots of moods and faces - maybe, we should start another thread for her.

I wish that the forwarder part of the flower was more in focus. This has a lot of detail but it's kind of hard to pick it all out. I hope that you try it again - I hope that you have a chance to explore it some more.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Oh, my! Could it be...is it Queen Anne's Lace? Has the season moved along that fast for you? I should warn you - I'm addicted to photographing QAL (and, I know that I'm not the only one). She has lots of moods and faces - maybe, we should start another thread for her.

I wish that the forwarder part of the flower was more in focus. This has a lot of detail but it's kind of hard to pick it all out. I hope that you try it again - I hope that you have a chance to explore it some more.
    I don't know, looking on the internet I guess it could be the QAL. We would call it fluitenkruid then. I have another one of these photos, a bit pinker, at home, I'll have a look.

And I liked the dreamy quality of this one, but will take your advice for next time. Probably need a slightly smaller aperture still. I shoot so close to the flower most of the time that the DOF is quite small.

I don't know, looking on the internet I guess it could be the QAL. We would call it fluitenkruid then. I have another one of these photos, a bit pinker, at home, I'll have a look.

And I liked the dreamy quality of this one, but will take your advice for next time. Probably need a slightly smaller aperture still. I shoot so close to the flower most of the time that the DOF is quite small.
    Peter, I've gone to look for some of my old photos of QAL that I used to be so proud of and.....ICK! They're from when I had just gotten my camera and didn't have a clue what I was doing. So, I don't want to show them to you. I'll just have to wait till ours get going in the meadow. There are lots of different variations on this one kind of flower, though, I've noticed. Yours looks an awful lot like it but it might be slightly different.

Anyway, I went to the blog of another QAL junkie - gorgeous photos. The first ones that come up are mostly buds and are the ones that she took later on in the season. HERE is the link if you're interested. Like I said, it has so many different "looks" to it.

Real Name
    Peter

Macro flower photographs
    buddleja davidii or butterfly-bush
    Last edited by Letrow; 2nd July 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Sweetheart rose. These are quite small, only 1.5 - 2 inches diameter

Macro flower photographs

Wendy

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Sweetheart rose. These are quite small, only 1.5 - 2 inches diameter

Macro flower photographs

Wendy
    Nice one Wendy and I like this background as well. The white looks good and this looks more natural. Difficult to choose for me which one is best.

Real Name
    Bob R

You think I should have gone further with the DOF

Macro flower photographs

Macro flower photographs

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    You think I should have gone further with the DOF

Macro flower photographs
    Yes, a bit more DOF would have helped I think. Now some of the small green dots on the stems are out of focus. What F stop did you use here? And maybe try a slightly different angle, so that you lose some of the background. The flower is beautiful.

Macro flower photographs
    I love the delicacy of these flowers, nice colours too.

Real Name
    Peter

Macro flower photographs
    Verbena officinalis or common vervain.

In Dutch we call them ijzerhard (hard as iron). It seems this name stems from the medicinal qualities of the plant. For a long time it was assumed that this plant was one of the best medicines to be used in case of wounds caused by iron.

The tea from this plant (very bitter supposedly) and hot compresses made with this tea are supposed to be effective against migraines.

"Vervain and dill hinders witches from their will."

Macro flower photographs
    Verbena officinalis or common vervain.

In Dutch we call them ijzerhard (hard as iron). It seems this name stems from the medicinal qualities of the plant. For a long time it was assumed that this plant was one of the best medicines to be used in case of wounds caused by iron.

The tea from this plant (very bitter supposedly) and hot compresses made with this tea are supposed to be effective against migraines.

"Vervain and dill hinders witches from their will."
    Hi, Peter! That's really interesting - I knew that it was used medicinally but that was all - very interesting! (and, I'll keep that in mind, this Halloween, about the witches....) This is one of my favorite flowers - someone just gave me a deep blue one as a gift - lucky me! I just don't know if I'll be able to catch it like your delicate macro, here. This is very pretty! mmmm, too bad about the little pink smudge on the bokeh, just below the flower but - hey!

Thanks for the encouragement on mine!!! I worked really, really, really hard on the post processing to get the colors and details there (at the same time, that is.)

Real Name
    Peter

mmmm, too bad about the little pink smudge on the bokeh, just below the flower but - hey!
    I complained to my wife about it. We have too many flowers in the garden, it spoils the background.

Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast