Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stranger's Kid

Real Name
    Mario

Stranger's Kid

EDIT: Reading through the flash tutorials

So I approached a stranger and asked if I could photograph her and her kid. She consented. I have a new flash that I wanted to play with. I know it's probably too soon for me to jump in with using a flash but it's kind of how I learn.

Setting: In a Subway Restaurant with lots of windows and directly beneath their soft lights. I changed the temp of the 2nd one to be a little more yellow. For some reason I liked the mixture of the lights personally but maybe I shouldn't have.

C&C please? Thanks in advance

Stranger's Kid

I mostly like this one for the eyes. But that's because I'm biased when it comes to kids. I can't wait to have one of my own.
    Stranger's Kid
    Last edited by Mario Xavier; 21st March 2011 at 05:09 AM.

Real Name
    Elise

Re: Stranger's Kid

I hope you got her email, because she'll be thrilled to have copies. They're lovely.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I hope you got her email, because she'll be thrilled to have copies. They're lovely.
    Thank you, Elise! I did. I sent them to her last night and she just sent me a message asking if I would do more. This makes me smile.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Those are some really great shots, Mario.
    Beautiful treatment in the first one. I would have loved to see the first one without that watermark.

Ohhh! You caught that moment. The moment that she's looking at her hands and trying to figure out what they are and where they came from and what to do with them. So sweet and peaceful! I don't know what to say about the lighting, though. Nothing looks blown. Her hair does look awfully yellow in the second one but I'm just on a little laptop, here. For the situation, it looks like you did really well. It doesn't look glaring at all and the shadows aren't harsh.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Those are some really great shots, Mario.
    Beautiful treatment in the first one. I would have loved to see the first one without that watermark.
    Thanks Sahil! I saved photoshop file so I could remove it. Here you go
    Stranger's Kid

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Ohhh! You caught that moment. The moment that she's looking at her hands and trying to figure out what they are and where they came from and what to do with them. So sweet and peaceful! I don't know what to say about the lighting, though. Nothing looks blown. Her hair does look awfully yellow in the second one but I'm just on a little laptop, here. For the situation, it looks like you did really well. It doesn't look glaring at all and the shadows aren't harsh.
    Thanks Katy! You're very right about it being the moment. She was so distracted with her hands when her mom kept moving them she looked at me like "hurry up, I'm busy here." As far as the hair goes. Yeah, the yellow is kind of bothering me. I have an idea of what I was trying to go for with the warm lights around her but I don't know. I reduced it some. thoughts?

Stranger's Kid

It kind of makes the shadow from the flash a little harder I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Xavier View Post
    Thanks Katy! You're very right about it being the moment. She was so distracted with her hands when her mom kept moving them she looked at me like "hurry up, I'm busy here." As far as the hair goes. Yeah, the yellow is kind of bothering me. I have an idea of what I was trying to go for with the warm lights around her but I don't know. I reduced it some. thoughts?

Stranger's Kid

It kind of makes the shadow from the flash a little harder I think.
    My quick response is that I noticed the yellow in the cup of her hand, immediately. My eye was drawn to it; so, that can't be right. I do like the tones in this better, though. Also, that odd kind of yellow halo that was on the edge of her left cheek is gone - even though the shadow is more obvious. I didn't notice it, in my quick first look (I'm rushing a little, at the moment) but I do see it, now. I wonder, also, if you wanted to, if you could reduce the highlights just a little. Her forehead looks a bit bright but not blown and, maybe, that's what you're going for? and, then, her eye, also, looks a titch glassy. Wow! Do I sound critical? I love the image! These are the things that I would be experimenting with if it was my photo. They are just thoughts for your consideration. I have an appt. to get to but I can't wait to see what you finally end up with for your vision.

Real Name
    Brian

I think that's a great way to get a photo! I wouldn't be out going enough to ask a stranger to shoot their kid...