Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Yet another stupid question - Lightroom autoloads when attaching ext hard drive

  1. #1
    mythlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Capitola, CA
    Posts
    748
    Real Name
    Elise

    Yet another stupid question - Lightroom autoloads when attaching ext hard drive

    . . . from the queen of stupid questions. I got this external hard drive and all is well, but somehow I managed to get it set up so that every time I plug in the darned thing, Lightroom pops up -- you know that little menu in Windows that pops up, asking what program you want to use to open something? Well, I think I clicked on LR without thinking what I was doing, so now it pops up every time I plug in the drive. I can't figure out how to get to that menu to un-check it. I don't want anything to pop up. Gaakh.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas city area
    Posts
    12
    Real Name
    Larry

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    I have a stupid question. My camera can shoot 6fps. What does this do when I take a picture in this mode.

  3. #3
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Change your Lightroom preference settings:

    Go to EDIT > PREFERENCES > On the General Menu, go to Import Options and then uncheck the box that say "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected." Hope this works, Elise.
    Last edited by jiro; 14th March 2011 at 09:20 PM.

  4. #4
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by ljack41 View Post
    I have a stupid question. My camera can shoot 6fps. What does this do when I take a picture in this mode.
    That would mean you could have taken 6 images in a second. FPS means Frames Per Second. This is just an average as this value changes depending on your battery condition and how long you keep the shutter release pressed.

  5. #5
    mythlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Capitola, CA
    Posts
    748
    Real Name
    Elise

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Thank you, Jiro!!! I always feel so dumb when I do something like that.

    xoxoxo

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas city area
    Posts
    12
    Real Name
    Larry

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    I feel so stupid here but all the cameras I have had were you aim, shoot and hope for the best. So when would I use the 6fps at sports events?

  7. #7
    mythlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Capitola, CA
    Posts
    748
    Real Name
    Elise

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Aha, I know this one -- you would use the continuous shooting mode (or whatever it's called on your camera) when you want to capture something that's in motion -- some guys jumping up around the basketball hoop, or hockey players zipping across the ice. It allows you to get shots in rapid succession. You need pretty good light, though, so you can have a faster shutter speed.

  8. #8
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Thank you, Jiro!!! I always feel so dumb when I do something like that.
    It also happens to me sometimes.

  9. #9
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    Aha, I know this one -- you would use the continuous shooting mode (or whatever it's called on your camera) when you want to capture something that's in motion -- some guys jumping up around the basketball hoop, or hockey players zipping across the ice. It allows you to get shots in rapid succession. You need pretty good light, though, so you can have a faster shutter speed.
    You nailed it just right, Elise.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas city area
    Posts
    12
    Real Name
    Larry

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Thank you. as you can see I have a lot to learn here. thank you. Maybe you would use 6fps when trying to photogragh lightning. Could I get thown off here for being to dumb?

  11. #11
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by ljack41 View Post
    Thank you. as you can see I have a lot to learn here. thank you. Maybe you would use 6fps when trying to photogragh lightning. Could I get thown off here for being to dumb?
    Uhh... Actually it works the other way. If you are shooting lightnings, you normally use a longer shutter speed so you can capture the path from the clouds to the ground. That would mean you have to set your camera to single-shot mode. If you live where there are a lot of cellphone communication towers nearby, it's the opposite: Lightning shoots from the ground up! I think the typical shutter speed is about 2 - 8 seconds with a very low ISO setting. Hope this helps, Larry.
    Last edited by jiro; 14th March 2011 at 09:52 PM.

  12. #12
    wilgk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Victoria Australia
    Posts
    2,409
    Real Name
    Kay

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    It also happens to me sometimes.
    I somehow doubt this, but you are a very kind gentleman to say so
    Elise - Please take care when packing that 'crown' (for Queen of Dumb Questions) it needs to arrive safely as I need to wear it quite often

  13. #13
    mythlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Capitola, CA
    Posts
    748
    Real Name
    Elise

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Larry, if anyone could be thrown off here for asking dumb questions, I would have been gone long ago. The people on this website are extraordinarily good about helping other people learn -- that's what's so wonderful about CiC. Welcome.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas city area
    Posts
    12
    Real Name
    Larry

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Thank you so much.

  15. #15
    Sonic4Spuds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Superior Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    252
    Real Name
    Will

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Hi Larry,

    Yes Jiro is correct that with most cameras you want a longer shutter >1sec to capture lightning. That is not the case all of the time. For example if using a Cannon point and shoot and CHDK you would leave the camera on running a motion detection script to fire when it sees motion.

    -Sonic

  16. #16
    speedneeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, KY
    Posts
    1,532
    Real Name
    Brian

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    . . . from the queen of stupid questions. I got this external hard drive and all is well, but somehow I managed to get it set up so that every time I plug in the darned thing, Lightroom pops up -- you know that little menu in Windows that pops up, asking what program you want to use to open something? Well, I think I clicked on LR without thinking what I was doing, so now it pops up every time I plug in the drive. I can't figure out how to get to that menu to un-check it. I don't want anything to pop up. Gaakh.
    Any wise person would tell you - the only stupid question is the one not asked.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas city area
    Posts
    12
    Real Name
    Larry

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    I have been expirmenting with my camera and now it is taking a longer time to download the pictures and I don't know what setting I have changed to cause this. Any help would be apprciated. I left the quality setting ie.pixel and size the same.

  18. #18
    speedneeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, KY
    Posts
    1,532
    Real Name
    Brian

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    My computer has USB 1 and 2 ports. I can tell the difference when I plug into the USB 1 port!

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    This is just an average as this value changes depending on your battery condition and how long you keep the shutter release pressed.
    And what the shutter speed is!

  20. #20
    jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    3,804
    Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

    Re: Yet another stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    And what the shutter speed is!
    Yup! Forgot to add that. Thanks Colin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •