Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first picture of a man's best friend....

Real Name
    Silvija

My first picture of a man's best friend....

This picture was taken spontaniusly when enjoying in the sun and having a great day ...The picture was originally in colour but the background was not good, so I changed it in B&W and cropped it a little bit...But in the right upper corner you can see a part of an object which is bothering me, don't know how to get rid of it so that the picture stays the same...cannot crop it more.
    But all in all, I think that the picture is OK for a beginner.
    Please comment and leave feedback....Really appreciate it.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: My first picture of a man's best friend....

If you are using Adobe Photoshop CS5, you can select that tire area on the upper right (using the lasso tool) and then go to Edit > Fill > Content Aware and it will do the magic for you in less than 3 seconds. Nice image and nice work on the b&w conversion, Silvija. A little extra sharpening on the eyes would look good, too. Good job!
    Last edited by jiro; 13th March 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Real Name

You're a fast learner!

To add some sharpening, you could do what others usually do here at CiC. You make a copy of the background layer by pressing "CTRL + J" (you hold the CTRL key then the J key). Go to Filters > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. Enter the following adjustment data:

Amount: 160
    Radius: 3
    Threshold: 0

That's it. But if you want to be creative on the sharpening, you could go further and apply these steps:

1. While still on the background copy layer, Go to LAYER > LAYER MASK > HIDE ALL. This will add a layer mask to your sharpened layer. You will not see any sharpening after you did this because we "hid" it.

2. Now, to show the sharpening on the eyes, Grab the brush tool on the tools pallette (on the left pane), set the brush to color white on the foreground, MODE to Normal, OPACITY to 100%, Flow to 15% and start to apply the brush on the eye area. What you are doing now is that you are showing the sharpened layer through the mask layer. Black hides all while white reveals. We applied the white colored brush to "REVEAL" the sharpened areas. The reason why I adjusted the flow to 15% is for you to slowly build up the sharpening based on your taste or preference. You can also set the flow to 100% right away but it does not have that gradation that looks great when sharpening an image. If you want, since we are working on the mask layer, you can also reveal some of the sharpened areas aside from the eyes by applying the brush on those areas.

That's it.

Another method of sharpening an image is to apply a high pass filter (FILTER > OTHER > HIGH PASS FILTER then set the value to 10) on a copied background layer and then apply a blending mode of soft light or overlay depending on your taste.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Real Name
    Silvija

Thank you so,so,so much Jiro for this tip:-)) Didn't know I can to that..:-)) I just started to watch tutorials on how to use Photoshop cs5...
    Below is the picture WITHOUT a tire:-)) And I've sharpened the eyes...:.-))
    Once again, thanks a lot weee, so happy now:-)

Real Name
    Silvija

I didn't see that you wrote a post:-)) I deleted my previous one, because I wanted to try to do it by myself...Didn't want you to see it:-P
    I did shaprening with the lasso and just by clicking Sharpen more...That's not it obviously:-))) I'm going to follow your steps that you had written above and try to do something...
    Ahh, there are so many options:-))) Need to learn a LOT:-))

Real Name

It's OK. I think you did a very good job on the last edit. Don't be overwhelmed when learning how to use photoshop. Try to learn one command at a time. Once you are proficient in using one then move to another command. Good luck!
    Last edited by jiro; 14th March 2011 at 06:50 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

I like everything about it. The dog, the expression, the focus, the sharpness, and the contrast. Quite a nice dog portrait

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Quote Originally Posted by arlena87 View Post
    Thank you so,so,so much Jiro for this tip:-)) Didn't know I can to that..:-)) I just started to watch tutorials on how to use Photoshop cs5...
    Below is the picture WITHOUT a tire:-)) And I've sharpened the eyes...:.-))
    Once again, thanks a lot weee, so happy now:-)
    Silvija,

You have done a good job there. I like the expression on the dogs face. You edits as recommended by Jiro were performed beautifully.
    Photoshop is an overwhelming program to be learnt one step at a time. Good shooting.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Silvija

Thank you everyone for your feedback and nice comments. Means a lot.
    :-)