Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Curiosity

Real Name
    Karen Baines

Curiosity

Wondering what I could do to improve this shot? Just learning but very keen..ThanksCuriosity

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: Curiosity

Hi Karen

I quite like it the way it is. I like the framing. Have you done much to the image? Have you cropped it etc? Can we see the any other versions?

I keep looking at it and I like it - as simple as that.

R

Real Name
    Karen Baines

Hi there, I have cropped it slightly to the left to just frame it a little better, but other that that just changed it to black and white. Thanks for your feedback...

Real Name
    Karen Baines

Curiosity The original

Real Name
    Raylee

Hi Karen

It's perfect the way you've processed it. You have isolated your daughter (?) from the background in your conversion. The crop is perfect IMO - I just wonder about cloning out the line of the door frame on the right but that is neither here nor there. I love the feeling that she is stepping out to explore the great big world.

Great shot!

R

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Purely a matter of personal taste, but I would may be have tried a 4:5 ratio crop to make her more dominant within the frame. But 4:5 is just my favoured protratiot format ratio.

I wonder, too, if brightening up the eyes might improve it (please note - it is very good already) further? In the B & W, the eyes maybe look a bit dark. I don't think I know what PP software you have, Karen, nor how you rate your level of experience at doing PP work. There is more than one way of achieving this - using the lassoo tool and curves or using a layer mask and brushing in the brightened areas.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Purely a matter of personal taste, but I would may be have tried a 4:5 ratio crop to make her more dominant within the frame. But 4:5 is just my favoured protratiot format ratio.

I wonder, too, if brightening up the eyes might improve it (please note - it is very good already) further? In the B & W, the eyes maybe look a bit dark. I don't think I know what PP software you have, Karen, nor how you rate your level of experience at doing PP work. There is more than one way of achieving this - using the lassoo tool and curves or using a layer mask and brushing in the brightened areas.
    Donald

How can you tell the crop ratio? Is it a case of seeing enough 4:5 to know what it should look like? I haven't bothered so far with the crop ratio. All I do is crop to what I think looks right, bearing in mind the rule of thirds. My approach is a bit random. I know this doesn't fit with printing formats but I haven't printed many photos yet either. I'm keen to learn more about ratios.

Thanks

R

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Raylee

What software do you use for PP? I use DxO Optics Pro6 for Raw processing and then the GIMP for finishing off. Both have a crop tool into which you specify the aspect ratio you want (4:5; 7:5; 4:3; 16:9; etc). The resulting overlaid screen also has options to lay on a Rule of Thirds, or Golden Sections grid. You can then play about to obtain the best composition, all the time retaining your pre-shosen aspect ratio.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Nice shot, Karen. When I saw the original colored version, the first thing that came to mind is "Wow, this would look nice in an early 1970's vintage look!."

Real Name
    Karen Baines

Thanks all for the feedback. Donald I am currently using Lightroom but I have only just started and have a lot to learn. I have a new found passion in life and it is photography. I am constantly seeing photo ops throughout my days and I am reading up and I cant learn quick it enough...Any feedback I get is food for thought and I appreciate it so much...
    Thanks Willie Im glad you like my photo...And to Raylee thankyou for taking time out to comment as well, I have taken all comments on board..Cheers..

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Kbaines View Post
    I am currently using Lightroom but I have only just started and have a lot to learn.
    Great. In that case, don't feel 'OMG, all these people know so much and I don't and I'll never learn and I'll never make wonderful pictures, etc, etc, etc.' There will be moments like this. We've all been there (Still am a lot of the time!!).

Learning is a process you undertake step-by-step, especially with post-processing software. A Willie has said in another thread in the past couple of days, you've got to take one skill/action at a time. Learn it and feel comfortable with it and then move onto the next. What i've suggested doing above can get added in to the 'to learn' folder for future reference.

Real Name
    Karen Baines

Great advice...Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I will definitely keep reading up and learning as much as I can.