Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fiddlehead

Real Name
    Peter

Fiddlehead

This is the fiddlehead of a fern frond, taken in the morning when the sun was about a quarter way up above the horizon. I saw the backlight and thought it could add to the image.

Welcome your comments.

Fiddlehead

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Fiddlehead

Hi Peter,

A good study shot but with the added dimension of the shape being very reminiscent of the human embryo.

The only suggestion I was going to make was to crop 10-15% from the top edge to get the 'head' on a third rather than slap bang in the middle, however, by playing with the image scrolling in the browser, I find that gives a much larger emphasis to the 'arms' (which are brighter, but not sharp enough to be so prominent in composition), so it is best left as it is.

Yes, I like the back lighting, exposure and background blur.

Good shot,

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Exposure, lighting, texture, and colors, are great! My only nit is the composition, too. I wish the foreground leaf was not cut. Very nice work, Peter.

Real Name
    Elise

I agree with Jiro -- my first thought was that I wish I had that whole second leaf. But it's beautiful work, nevertheless.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Another '+' vote. I like the management of the light. Not an easy one to get right.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Excellent. I agree with the composition comments. Pretty much a quibble though and I would have been very happy to have taken this

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Dave, Jiro, Elise, Donald & Trevor,

Thank you for taking time to view and comment. I also was undecided as whether to crop off the top abit but decided to leave it alone so as to give the frond "space to grow". I personally would have preferred to have the lower leave not cut off, but was not observant enough while taking the shot. Thanks for raising this. A lesson learnt.

Appreciate all your comments.

Saint Marie De Kent, New Brunswick, Canada
    Real Name
    Chris Martin

Great Shot, but Fiddle Heads are also good to eat!! Boil for 7 minutes, serve with a generous amount of butter, pinch of sea salt ,generous pinch of cracked pepper,generous squeeze of fresh lemon and zest of lemon. They taste like Brussel sprouts.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by smcconsulting View Post
    Great Shot, but Fiddle Heads are also good to eat!! Boil for 7 minutes, serve with a generous amount of butter, pinch of sea salt ,generous pinch of cracked pepper,generous squeeze of fresh lemon and zest of lemon. They taste like Brussel sprouts.
    Not quiet sure how you would taste them at all after all the 'generous pinch of ...' stuff.

Real Name
    Chris

They are actually quite tasty....I've had them by themselves and as a garnish with the pan braised Brussel sprouts....yummy.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks, Chris & Chris, Peter & werend, for viewing and the interesting discussion on fiddlehead for lunch. The last time I tried fiddlehead was during jungle survival training many years back. Can't remember how it tasted. Probably didn't like it, otherwise would have eaten it on more occasions.