Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can I mount my Nikon D50 lenses on a Nikon D300 camera?

Can I mount my Nikon D50 lenses on a Nikon D300 camera?

I'm looking at purchasing a D300. I currently use a D50. I was told that my D50 lenses would not work on a D300 because of how the camera and the lense work together. I was told that the D50 lense focuses using a motor inside the lense and the D300 uses a motor inside the camera body.
    Something here doesn't sound right.
    What is the real story and where would I find the information?
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 6th February 2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Moved thread & changed to more descriptive thread title

Re: Can I mount my Nikon D50 lenses on a Nikon D300 camera?

If it will work on your D50 it most certainly will work on a D300. The D300 can handle lenses that have their own internal motor, and it can handle lenses that require a motor in the body.

To my knowledge the only models that require an AF-S (Lens Internal motor) lens are D40, D40x, and D60.

of course you can. Sounds like a sales person is trying hard to get more $$$ out of ya .

If you are a pixel peeper, keep in mind that with 12 Mpix, flaws in lenses will show up (when you view at 100% on a monitor.)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

To be honest, I'd be more than just a little suspicious of a salesman / store who told me something like that.

Of course it could be just a genuine mistake, but one would like to think that salesmen would know better thus in my mind making it far more likely that they're using it more as a dishonest tactic for their gain - which suggests to me that they couldn't care less about you or your needs, only themselves.

Might be a good idea to check their reputation. Not sure where you're based, but globally B & H Photo Video have the reputation against which ALL other companies are judged (www.bhphotovideo.com
    ) - they're based in New York, but I still buy from them even though I'm based in New Zealand. They set the standard for honesty, integrity, and fair pricing.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 7th February 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Colin, sorry but your link ain't workin' mate,

B&H

Mark

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Needs a ".com" on the end

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Needs a ".com" on the end
    Oops - thanks guys. All fixed.

Thank you for confirming my apprehensions. I need to do some more shopping around for a camera and equipment supplier.
    I'm based in Nova Scotia, Canada, but do alot of traveling for work around Canada.
    I never seem to be near a major centre long enough to make good contacts.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by buckie View Post
    Thank you for confirming my apprehensions. I need to do some more shopping around for a camera and equipment supplier.
    I'm based in Nova Scotia, Canada, but do alot of traveling for work around Canada.
    I never seem to be near a major centre long enough to make good contacts.
    Is mail-order an option for you at all? With the efficiencies of the likes of Fedex and UPS if makes it pretty easy to get anything to anywhere these days, so long as you know what it is you want.

I have a D50 and all lenses work on it and my D300

Yep, that would be correct. I would never get rid of my D50.....so much better then the D40 or D60

The D50 is still a great camera and matches partially the D300, it has better noise performance, so I am told from another forum from a D300 user who also has the D50.

That salesmen should do his homework all over again. The GREAT thing is that the Nikon F mount hasn't changed and lenses of a D50 (which has an onboard AF motor like the D300 also has) so lenses used on ther D50 work also on the D300.

Is there a snake in the grass?

Yes; DX glass should NOT be used on FF FLIM (35mm) cameras because it is :

A) glass with a smaller (aps-c) lens end so if you use it on a FF film body (aka35mm) that vignetting will occur

b) DX glas is optimised for APS-C sensor body's (for the real size DX glass needs also be mulitplied with 1.5 at start mm and also at the end mm

The second snake in the grass is that using DX glass on a FF DIGITAL body will set back the resolution
    because FF digital bodies have better (larger) sensors the Quality matters so that you have to use FF glass for the full resolution
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th June 2009 at 06:17 PM.