Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need help with a Canon Tilt/Shift lens

Real Name
    Paul Minkus

Need help with a Canon Tilt/Shift lens

Hello All,

I am a longtime photo enthusiast.
    I am new to this forum and somewhat new to the digital realm.
    There are indeed excellent tutorials on this website.
    However, nothing beats personal instruction.
    I want to find someone experienced & knowledgable in the Chicago area to teach me how to capably utilize my new tilt/shift lens.
    I am willing to pay if necessary for quality instruction.
    I have a Canon 5DII and a 24 TS-E II.
    I would like to fully understand the T/S concepts and DLSR workflow of using this lens.
    I live just NW of Chicago.
    If you can help me or know someone in the area please email me.
    I am hoping that someone in the photo community would like to help me.
    Thanks >Paul
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th March 2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Changed title to attract better response

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Need help with a Canon Tilt/Shift lens

I see that the copies of this post that you put into other sections have disappeared from the bump threads list, so I hope you got suitable replies.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th March 2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Changed title to attract better response

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Paul,

Not many members (even worldwide) will have that lens (24mm TS-E) and even less know a photographer who would give advice/tuition (assuming they didn't feel able to themselves) and when you limit the area, that makes it virtually impossible.

I think the best way to proceed is to understand the tutorials and if you need help with that, just ask questions here, even the author (Sean) may respond if necessary, but we do have other members with either that, or the other focal length versions, of TS-E lenses that can probably help.

I have changed the Thread and Post titles to attract a better response in this manner.

Taking it to the next level, post images here for critique, but do say how you shot them and what problems you think you had, so we can zero-in on providing useful answers.

I accept this process won't be as quick as a day out shooting with a pro, but it's better than nothing.

Sorry we couldn't answer the question as asked - and welcome to the CiC forums from ...
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 13th March 2011 at 11:12 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

When Iget home from my travels, I will send you the url of a book Iuse in class to teach tilt and shift techniques on the 4x5 cameras. Format is different but I would think the technique and mechanics of how the lens bends the light and how the planes work in reference to f/stops would stay the same. Though, must first ask if this lens uses a bellows system?

Correctly ministered, you should be able to shoot the same flower shots as Rob with far less mathematics involved. I wish I could afford a digital back for my Linhoft. (I'm getting to wish I could afford the film for it anymore - rise in oil prices is killing me.)