Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lightroom 3 vs. CS5

Real Name
    Warren

Lightroom 3 vs. CS5

Hello all, I am looking for software to convert my RAW files to B&W. Can any of you explain the key differences between the two. In looking at the Adobe site it's not clear. I can purchase either one at a deep discount through the university bookstore so either product is within my budget. Thanks, Warren

Real Name
    Amanda

Re: Lightroom 3 vs. CS5

CS5 is more versatile when it comes to editing. Has a lot more to offer and work with overall. I only used Lightroom for converting Raw filles before I had CS and I found it very good for adjusting exposure but then I always exported the files to Photoshop Elements to edit further. But now I have CS I convert my Raw files in Camera Raw which comes with CS and then do any other editing there in CS too. Having said that I have used Lightroom many times for converting to Black & White. I find the blacks slider excellent for achieving lovely black tones where they should be. Thats just my own personal experience.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Warren,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me, great to have you join us.

I don't have LR, but the 'engine' that does the work in LR3 is athe same ACR as CS5, just presented differently - I believe all the same controls will be there somewhere.

I'd agree with Amanda, overall, CS5 is the best single package solution, LR3's great benefit is more as an import and media file handling system, and for things like cloning layers, etc. you'd need to add Elements, or (with your discount) even CS5 to get everything you're likely to need.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Warren

Thank you Amanda and Dave for your advise. Chances are I'll buy CS5, but I'm going to take advantage of Adobes' 30 day trial for each product before I make my final decision. I'm glad I found this site and have already passed it on to some other enthusiasts that I know. Warren

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Warren,

Think of LR3 as being best suited to the likes of wedding photographers who want to handle thousands of files, but only make global adjustments (ie adjustments that apply to the whole image). On the other hand, PS CS5 only handles one file at a time, but there is NOTHING that it can't do to a file, and at a pixel level if required.

Having just said that, the comment about PS CS5 "only handling 1 file at a time" might bother you - don't let it. PS CS5 also comes with a VERY powerful probram called Bridge - and Bridge pretty much gives you the same bulk file handling capabilities as LR3 (kinda - it's done slightly differently, but you can still work with thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of files at once.

Bottom line is nothing comes close to the power of Photoshop and it's sidekicks of bridge and ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) (hence the reason it's so expensive). It will require more of a time investment to get to know how to drive it, but if you make that investment, you'll get a better result that you would have with LR3.