Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fun in the Desert Part 2

Real Name
    Homer

Fun in the Desert Part 2

OK. No love on my HDR image. This image was shot on a tripod with a three bracket range. HDR does nothing for it but some work with adjustment layers helps a bunch. I can't decided if I like the color or black and white better. No pixel peeping - there are some errors, but they will be very hard to see at 72dpi.

As Shot:
    Fun in the Desert Part 2

Color - Worked On
    Fun in the Desert Part 2

Monochrome - Worked On
    Fun in the Desert Part 2

rob marshall

Re: Fun in the Desert Part 2

#2 looks very good to me. I think the colour is better than the BW version. Good layering in the composition gives it a good sense of depth. That's another tick for the G1

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Good layering in the composition gives it a good sense of depth.
    Agreed.

As it is composed, then I also agree that the colour is better. However ......... take the existing top of the image as the start point and crop at the bottom to make a 2:1 aspect ratio image. That means you lose all that foreground stubbly grassland. What do you think?

That foreground is good and important in the colour image. But could go in a B & W.

Real Name
    Homer

I agree the stubble does not really add to the BW photo. Cropping does change the photo to really empashise the big moutains, though, not the overall range of flatland, badlands, low mountains and big mountains. Thanks for your comments.

Fun in the Desert Part 2

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
    I agree the stubble does not really add to the BW photo. Cropping does change the photo to really empashise the big moutains, though, not the overall range of flatland, badlands, low mountains and big mountains. Thanks for your comments.

Fun in the Desert Part 2
    This looks quite under exposed and lacking contrast now you have cropped the old foreground off.

I gave things a little boost (probably a bit overkill);
    Fun in the Desert Part 2

Better?

Real Name
    Homer

Agreed, the mid mountains look better. Now I need to see if I can print it. I have not had much luck in the B&W printing department.

Real Name
    Chris

I did my own version of this, more so to try and recreate what you have done...it's my way of honing my PP skills. I do find my background to be darker or perhaps more contrasty as are the mid range hills...not sure which I like the best (for me...as I would never suggest anything I do is better than what someone else has done - as their vision is always best). Just playing...sometimes it is good...sometimes...eh

Fun in the Desert Part 2