Thread: Travelling with camera

Real Name
    Peter

Travelling with camera

G'day, I am going on an overseas trip shortly, through Singapore airlines to UK via Singapore, I plan to carry my camera in my belt bag as a carry on luggage, does any body know if this is allowable and when I go through the airport sensors, Xray ETC should I remove the memory gards from my camera or any other precautions?
    Peter

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Travelling with camera

I am sure it is allowable since I always carry my cameras on in my gadget bag (I never send them through as checked on baggage). No need to remove the memory cards because, unlike film, memory cards are not impacted by X-rays.

The only other precaution that I do is to have a name tag on my camera bag. I use an engraved name tag with my address and phone number but, cover my address and phone # lines with duct tape so that a casual passerby can't read my address and then visit my home while I am away flying somewhere.

Oh yes, another precaution... Sometimes the airlines are quite fussy about bringing a tripod or monopod aboard as carry-on baggage. The can be considered "weapon-like instruments". I don't think that anyone could do much damage swinging a monopod around but, before 9/11/2001; I would never have thought that terrorists could capture three airlines with box cutters...

Real Name
    John

Keep the card in the camera and make sure the batteries are charged. If security wants to view your photos it may look like you are trying to hide something. I have never had an issue with security other than loose AA batteries on Air India. They threw them out.

Real Name
    Bill S

Peter,

The other bits of information here are definitely true. I recently did a trip from Pittsburgh -> Chicago -> Seoul, Korea -> Bali, Indonesia -> Wakatobi, Indonesia. I was carrying (or rather rolling) a Pelican 1510 hardcase absolutely loaded to the gills with gear (SLR, housing, stobes, multiple lenses, point&shoot with housing, and all kinds of accessories). I guarded that thing with my life, and was pretty nervous about traveling with so much gear. But sure enough, we had to go through security at every one of those airports. Sometimes I would get through without having to open the case, other times security asked to inspect further.

What I did learn though was that being cooperative with security personal went a long way. When the case was opened, it literally looked like a huge jumble of insanity, and with the underwater housings, it didn't necessarily look like all camera equipment. Interacting with the security screeners with a smile and a cheerful attitude helped. Most of them would allow me to carefully remove equipment and show them things in such a way that I wouldn't have a hundred items scattered over the security area.

I know my example is way more complex than what you're describing, but the point I'm making is to be cooperative and friendly, and you'll find the experience to likely be much easier than you expect. Try and hide it and avoid showing security screeners things, and they tend to make your life miserable. If you're just carrying a single camera and a couple lenses, you'll likely walk right through without a problem as your camera slides through the X-ray machine and garners no additional notice.

Enjoy your trip!

- Bill

PS: If you're interested, http://www.ktuli.com/photography/node/146 <-- there's a photo of the mountain of gear I had crammed into that Pelican hardcase for the trip.

Real Name
    Peter

Thank you all info has been very helpful
    Peter