Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first B&W portrait

Real Name
    Silvija

My first B&W portrait

This is my first black and white portrait of a person...I am very interested in your opinion. Please give feedback and advices:-)
    Thank you.My first B&W portrait
    Last edited by arlena87; 8th March 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: My first B&W portrait

Pozdrav Silvija. Welcome to CiC. I'm not a portrait photographer so take my comment with a grain of salt.

The pose is certainly unique for a portrait. The first thing that grabs my attention are the nostrils and the long neck. In my opinion, not a lot would probably appreciate this as a portrait shot. However, this was your concept and it is certainly unique. I would probably recommend that you straighten the image a little bit and make it dead center on the frame. I was also thinking, this pose would probably work well if you have two identical softboxes positioned on each side of the subject for that even side light effect. That would lessen the light on the central part of the neck and would show more of the contours of the head and the shoulders. A little amount of background spill light would probably help bring out the subject and give it dimensional look rather than completely fade in the background. A very unique approach to portraiture indeed.

Real Name
    Silvija

Hello Willie or Jiro:-)
    Thank you very much for your advices...I agree with you that the first thing you notice in this picture are the neck and the nostrils...I wanted the neck to be the main part of the picture, not the nostrils, but...you are here to tell me the things I cannot see by myself. I assume that this isn't a good portrait shot for (semi)professionals, and to be honest, I just started to have interest in photography (two weeks counting since I got my camera):-) This picture seemed interesting to me and that's the reason why I like it:-) But in time I will be better (hope so)...So I'm really glad for your comments.
    As soon as I download some good and easy programms for editing pictures, I will definetly change something...But can you maybe explain this sentence - if you have two identical softboxes positioned on each side of the subject for that even side light effect.
    What does it mean - softboxes? I was trying to translate this word on the net, but I haven't succeed:-(
    Last edited by arlena87; 8th March 2011 at 04:39 PM.

Real Name

I think softboxes are categorized as light modifiers. Perhaps this link can explain it better than my limited understanding. http://speedliting.com/gear/speedlig...x-beauty-dish/

The reason I recommended softboxes instead of bare bulbs is because you are shooting a female subject. Softboxes gives out soft light (maybe that's the main reason they are called softboxes ) The 2 even softboxes positioned directly at the sides of the subject will light the sides evenly while somewhat darkening the middle part a little bit depending on how far the softboxes are positioned and how big they are. Maybe this sample image can help you visualize what I'm trying to share:

My first B&W portrait

This image in an excerpt to the very nice book by Christopher Grey's: "Studio Lighting Techniques for photography." As you can see from the drawing the 2 light source are directly at the side of the subject and the camera directly in front. From the resultant shot, you'll see that nice soft light on the skin and at the same time has that subtle dark areas at the middle.

Well, when I saw your shot, this concept immediately came to my mind, but it is not the best way to light your subject. This is just a suggestion. Wait for the real professional portrait photographers here to give their opinion and I'm pretty sure we will learn a lot from them.

Sretno!

Real Name
    Silvija

Thanky you very much for your answer and this great picture...I understand now what you wanted to tell me. I will see what can I do with my picture and how to make it better.
    Lijepi pozdrav:-)

Real Name
    Martyn

an up the nose shot is classed as not very flattering in portraiture, thats probably why you dont see it very often, cheers martyn

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arlena87 View Post
    Thanky you very much for your answer and this great picture...I understand now what you wanted to tell me. I will see what can I do with my picture and how to make it better.
    Lijepi pozdrav:-)
    Nema na čemu.

Silvija,

I like it. I always strive for unconventional people shots myself. There is an unwritten rule that people should not be photographed up the nostrils....It's unflattering....its just not done. All the more reason to do it. There are a couple of things that do not quite sit right though. I am distracted by the neckline and I think bare shoulders would have worked far better especially if the model clasped hands behind the the back so giving good shadows and form. Also if you are using a landscape orientation try the subject to one side - a third in from the edge. This would give a interesting negative space. Saying all that I applaud you for breaking with convention. I would like to see far more of this sort of thing.

Great to have you posting. The fact that you are thinking out of the box is great. The picture of the woman's neck doesn't work well only, in my opinion, because you cant see the context so you are looking at the neck as a piece of art. If the model was a guy with a strong jaw it might have been more like appealing. I quickly went outside into our home full of men, and took a silly picture not worrying at all about the light and dark to show you what I mean. I dont have a lady to take other than me and my neck is definitely not model worthy!!! I hope no one moans but I will post the crop in the next post to show you what I mean. My first B&W portrait

Please note the photos are not meant to be great photos, just a concept.
    My first B&W portrait

I see your point Diane but I think the trick with the female form is to include the shoulders. Rebecca (CiC - Rebecca Louise Photography) will shoot me for posting this

My first B&W portrait

I'd be proud, Steve! Great pic. It was the angle that Sylvija took of the neck that made me suggest the context and the choice of a guy. Your pics are awesome and the reflection look is out of the ordinary which I love -but it is of the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I see your point Diane but I think the trick with the female form is to include the shoulders. Rebecca (CiC - Rebecca Louise Photography) will shoot me for posting this

My first B&W portrait

Real Name
    Silvija

Thank you everyone for great suggestions and feedback. I really like your picture Diane. I know what you mean...I think that a male figure would definetly work better. And Steve, thank you for sharing this great picture...realLY LOVE IT!
    I'm posting you another atempt ,something different:-) I know that portraits usually capture sholders too, but not in this case:-)
    I think that the light is a little bit too strong, but if I decrease the light then the shadows on the left side of the face are too emphasized.
    But it looks nice to me and I like THE eyes:-) This picture was taken in my house with a help of my desk lamp:-)))
    Please comment:-))) Love your ideas and suggestions...
    My first B&W portrait

Hi... Here is my first photograph. Can any please suggest me ?

My first B&W portrait

portrait photographer london
    portrait photographers london

Real Name
    Steve Schaefer

Great Shot. Keep working it......