Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Roses...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

White Roses...

White Roses...

Thank you very much for viewing.

--------
    Nikon D70, 50mm f1.8D lens, Exposure at f2.8 at 1/200 of a second, Processed inside photoshop.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: White Roses...

Well done Jiro, I like it.

Real Name

Thank you very much, Paul. I'm glad you like it.

Real Name
    Chris

I cannot make a good critique tonight..words are not coming out right, and while I cannot put a definitive finger on the reason, I have to say I cannot find much I like about any of this image...and my mama always said if I couldn't find something nice to say....it may well be the first image you've presented that I don't like...oh well, the same mama said there would be days like this.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I cannot make a good critique tonight..words are not coming out right, and while I cannot put a definitive finger on the reason, I have to say I cannot find much I like about any of this image...and my mama always said if I couldn't find something nice to say....it may well be the first image you've presented that I don't like...oh well, the same mama said there would be days like this.

Real Name
    Wendy

Love it Jiro. White on white is always very nice and there is something about the flowers that is very special - they look so delicate, like rice paper or something. Very nice

Wendy

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Love it Jiro. White on white is always very nice and there is something about the flowers that is very special - they look so delicate, like rice paper or something. Very nice

Wendy
    Thank you very much, Wendy. I am glad you like it.

rob marshall

Classic problem with flower shots... you have a very attractive flower/part flower but the background stuff is not so attractive. What do you do with it? Blur it OOF? Cut it off But if you cut it off you lose the context, and the flower head looks isolated and detached. Don't know about this one. I like the flower heads, but the stems etc are too intrusive. I'm not sure, but I think shooting it on a darker background would have been more effective at highlighting the heads, and hiding the background parts of the flower more.

Real Name
    Tim

Jiro,
    My feeling is that you applied some kind of paint texture to the background, you should have gone for broke and applied it to the flowers themselves, although in a way that doesn't sacrifice too much detail.

I like pictures like this one that don't have a wide range of tones, but they are clearly not everybody's cup of tea around here.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I think it's really nice, Jiro. I like the colors, the DOF, and the subtle texture. It's simple and peaceful.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Classic problem with flower shots... you have a very attractive flower/part flower but the background stuff is not so attractive. What do you do with it? Blur it OOF? Cut it off But if you cut it off you lose the context, and the flower head looks isolated and detached. Don't know about this one. I like the flower heads, but the stems etc are too intrusive. I'm not sure, but I think shooting it on a darker background would have been more effective at highlighting the heads, and hiding the background parts of the flower more.
    Thanks, Rob. Learned something new from you again. It's another experiment on white on white and some painterly effect for me. I dig what you mean. Thanks for the insight.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    Jiro,
    My feeling is that you applied some kind of paint texture to the background, you should have gone for broke and applied it to the flowers themselves, although in a way that doesn't sacrifice too much detail.

I like pictures like this one that don't have a wide range of tones, but they are clearly not everybody's cup of tea around here.
    Thanks, Tim. Just trying something different this time.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    I think it's really nice, Jiro. I like the colors, the DOF, and the subtle texture. It's simple and peaceful.
    Glad you like it, Mary.

Real Name
    Krisztina

I had to look very closely to see the background paint affect, and once I did, I liked this even more. To me it looks like a 'painted picture', i like how the stem of the white roses blend as if it was painted, and the rose itself is crisp like a beautiful picture of the 'real thing'.
    It reminds me of wall paper, or even Stationery paper,Note paper- rice paper ressed flower, except for the bud/petals itself. I would like to see the paint affect a shade darker around the rose itself , and melt into the background to add a bit more contrast/pop?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Captured View Post
    I had to look very closely to see the background paint affect, and once I did, I liked this even more. To me it looks like a 'painted picture', i like how the stem of the white roses blend as if it was painted, and the rose itself is crisp like a beautiful picture of the 'real thing'.
    It reminds me of wall paper, or even Stationery paper,Note paper- rice paper ressed flower, except for the bud/petals itself. I would like to see the paint affect a shade darker around the rose itself , and melt into the background to add a bit more contrast/pop?
    Thanks, Krisz. I am glad you like the painterly effect. I'll see what I can do to incorporate your idea when I edit this one. Thanks!

Real Name
    Yegor

In the big format very well.... All depends from the points of view! Probably, it is necessary to look under other angle
    In any case, to me like pale tone! It would be desirable to see pink roses

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Skitalez View Post
    In the big format very well.... All depends from the points of view! Probably, it is necessary to look under other angle
    In any case, to me like pale tone! It would be desirable to see pink roses
    I'll see if I can buy some pink roses later. Thanks for viewing, Yegor.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I'll see if I can buy some pink roses later. Thanks for viewing, Yegor.
    One can never fail with pink.

Real Name
    John

I think this is an attractive image but apart from the stem which, like Rob, bothers me, I would like it better if the most centrally placed rose at the back was a little bit more distinct. It gets a bit lost against the background. I tried duplicating the layer and setting it to multiply with a layer mask from the composite (RGB) channel which brought out the textured background better and showed the rose more distinctly. You may have wanted the dreamy feel but for me it falls between the dreamy and the distinct and this is just a way of going one way rather than the other.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    One can never fail with pink.
    I guess a woman knows best when it comes to floral subjects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast