Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A window to the past

Real Name
    Al

A window to the past

I'm trying to learn my way around Silver Efex Pro 2, so the following is submitted for C&C.

This was taken from the bomb bay of a Boeing B-29 Superfortress, looking thru the pressure wall window up to the top gunner position. It occurred to me that I recognize almost nothing in this image, which reminds me of just how fragile the past really is. Our real understanding of it does not survive even a single generation.

A window to the past

Real Name
    Chris

Re: A window to the past

I thinkyou hit your B&W just fine, but I sorta-kinda wonder why you didn't take the whole thing in B&W as that would fit the era.

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I thinkyou hit your B&W just fine, but I sorta-kinda wonder why you didn't take the whole thing in B&W as that would fit the era.
    It was intended as a bit of symbolism; as the name of the thread suggests, everything on the other side of the window represents the past. I just thought the round window surrounded by panels with radial seams and the odd light fixture made an interesting portal, through which a bit of history can be viewed (if not understood). But don't worry, Chris... judging from the overwhelming response, you're not the only one who doesn't get it. Thanks for the reply, and kudos for being the brave soul to speak up!

Real Name
    Chris

I got it, just thought the portal alone did the trick. As it stands, I think the lack of response is more to confusion than to anything else. Personally, I like it and it brought back some memories of a guy who lived down the street from me who was shot down in a B-29 about 4 months before War's end. Ended up in a nasty POW camp right next to a concentration camp. Anyway, he was a great guy and it was a fun rememberance...photographically, I'd chalk it up to one of those that just didn't make it off the drawing board.

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    photographically, I'd chalk it up to one of those that just didn't make it off the drawing board.
    Yeah, I suspect the real problem is that most of what is visible thru the portal is cluttered, unrecognizable and meaningless. Now, if there had been a flower on the other side... LOL. The irony is that this is exactly what I meant when I mentioned the "fragility of the past" in the original post; but it was just asking too much of a single photo with no context.

I suppose I may eventually find an appropriate subject to replace what is behind the glass. The portal is such a great compositional element, it's a shame to let it go to waste.

Real Name
    Peter

HI Al,

I hear ya and like the concept but I struggle to understand what it is I am looking at through the window. It looks messy to me. There does not appear to be a clear subject of interest.

Real Name
    Pops

B29s were messy, inside. An engineer who helped develop the craft explained to me in about 1948/49 that they didn't design them to house and carry humans. The plane was mission-designed and crew facilities came only as an after thought.

Pops

Real Name
    Al

Perhaps this works better? Same theme, but cleaner subject with more focus, I think. C&C still invited...

A window to the past

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Al,

Yes, yes, yes, I do like that. Simple, effective, good placement of the subject in the window. The spot colour works well for me.

Well done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    A window to the past
    I agree with Peter.

The idea of the past carrying the selective colouring works wonderfully well.

We're used to seeing the past through old B & W newsreels and movies. But it was, of course, in colour. What this does is take us through a window and into that past. We're not looking back in time. We're actually being transported back to that time and are being invited to leave today behind as a grey image. Brilliant!

Real Name
    Al

Thanks, Donald and Peter. I really should clone out the wheel on the P-51 just visible under the wingtip, though.