Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Build your own Zone Ruler?

Real Name
    Lynne

Build your own Zone Ruler?

Hi, sorry newbie question alert!

I am doing an on-line photographic course and for this module I am learning about metering.

The notes do give an example of how to obtain RGB readings in Canon's software, but I have just bought a Nikon D3100 and have the programme that went with that 'ViewX2'. I have to chart the test results of a series of images in RAW showing the Zone and the RGB reading, I think!

I can find colour diagrames for the RGB readings on this programme, but I can't find where the values are shown in numbers and wondered if any one also had this programme and could point me in the right direction please?

I can't afford Photoshop at the moment and as a newbie really don't know how else to find this information.

Many thanks in advance.

Lynne

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Build your own Zone Ruler?

Lynne,

The RGB values for the point under the mouse pointer are shown in the bar above the image in the image viewer - like this:

Build your own Zone Ruler?

The numbers are the x,y coordinates for the mouse location in the image followed by the R,G,B values in brackets. RGB values go from 0 to 255 (not 0 to 100% as in Photoshop).

Note that the RGB values shown in ViewNX are the ones you get after the image has gone through Nikon's Picture Controls system. This will have changed the brightness and contrast of the image, so the RGB values may not have the relationship to the exposure values that you (or your photographic course) are expecting.

Hope this helps!

- Paul

Real Name
    Lynne

Re: Build your own Zone Ruler?

Many thanks Paul, that is very helpful, particularly the screen shot. I will give it a go this afternoon.

Thanks again.

Lynne