Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: roos

Real Name
    Ken Outch

roos

This one of the roo family units which live at our place. This family, which we can now identify*, often camp overnight close to the house and are not terribly concerned about our presence.
    roos

* No, we have not got around to naming them!

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: roos

Hi Ken

I'd have them all named!

Have you done any sharpening on this image?

R

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

My day is complete. I keep wondering why no pictures of kangaroos when there are so many people from 'down under' on CiC. If we in the states say 'down under' what do you say?

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    I'd have them all named
    Yes well, we have at last count 200 or so of these oversized field mice hopping around the place, knocking off the stock feed and water. Easy to run out of names.

Have you done any sharpening on this image?
    Minimal. With unsharp mask and never above 50 to 100 setting with the radius never set more than 4, usually down around 2 or so. Usually try to avoid using threshold, and if I do, never more than a setting of 10. I tend to have a heavy hand and can easily end up with halos. So I am probably over cautious.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 5th March 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    My day is complete. I keep wondering why no pictures of kangaroos when there are so many people from 'down under' on CiC. If we in the states say 'down under' what do you say?
    Hi M,
    Not all that much. How about, " Up Over?"
    Ken

Real Name
    Raylee

The title is wrong - the song is Land Down Under, the band Men At Work, date 1982.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Yes well, we have at last count 200 or so of these oversized field mice hopping around the place, knocking off the stock feed and water. Easy to run out of names.

Minimal. With unsharp mask and never above 50 to 100 setting with the radius never set more than 4, usually down around 2 or so. Usually try to avoid using threshold, and if I do, never more than a setting of 10. I tend to have a heavy hand and can easily end up with halos. So I am probably over cautious.
    The photo looks a little soft to me. But Peter Ryan has posted on here that he's found kangaroos hard to get sharp. If you search, you should find his thoughts on this. I follow Scott Kelby's guidelines for sharpening. His all-purpose sharpening settings are amount 85%, radius 1 and threshold 4. According to him, radius should only be 1 or 2 pixels. There are others more knowledgable than I am on this. Maybe they can chip in?

R

Real Name
    Ken Outch

The photo looks a little soft to me. But Peter Ryan has posted on here that he's found kangaroos hard to get sharp. If you search, you should find his thoughts on this. I follow Scott Kelby's guidelines for sharpening. His all-purpose sharpening settings are amount 85%, radius 1 and threshold 4. According to him, radius should only be 1 or 2 pixels. There are others more knowledgable than I am on this. Maybe they can chip in?

R
    Hi Camellia
    Thank you for your comments on sharpening. It would seem that I was pretty much in the ball park, due entirely I might add to serendipitous good luck rather than good managment! Peter is quite right about 'roos. They are not very sharp. In fact they are a fairly stupid creature, brainwise. But in terms of evolutionary development for survival they are quite well designed. Sorry, I have digressed from the matter in hand. Be interested to read comments on other's experience in the effective application of sharpness filters.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 6th March 2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: moved reply outside the quote

Real Name
    Steaphany

Is this a mob of Eastern Greys ?

As for naming 'Roos, you have to know them sufficiently well to be able to distinguish who's who. ( believe it or not, they all look unique ) It took me a bit to just be able to identify the boomers from fliers with my Tammars. ( At least with Tammar Wallabies, you can tell the sex from facial features )

Real Name
    Peter

Here's a few to sate your desire for Roos
    roos
    These guys didn't care that I was trying to play a game of golf,
    roos
    This one said, "keep driving buddy, I'm just eating my dinner,nothing to see, move along.
    roos
    this one was busy eating afternoon tea,
    roos
    and these guys hadthe view to kill for
    Peter

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Steaphany
    Hardly a 'mob' of roos. LOL Not when you can see 150 to 200 on the move. But you are quite correct. They are Eastern Greys
    cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    Steaphany

Intruding with Texas 'Roos, here are a couple of my gals:

roos
    Camera Shy

roos
    Thirsty Hanya

Tammar Wallabies are the smallest macropod, adult height is 18", 46 cm. I describe them as being cursed with Cuteness, yet they can still give a nasty kick if they don't want to be cuddled.

Many are surprised that I have 'Roos in Texas, but the climate here is comparable to portions of Victoria and Tasmania.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Steaphany
    Love your 'gals' They are really cute! At home the roos live on the hills . The Wallabies live down on the flat near the river. Unfortunately there is a road running beside the river and the number of wallabies killed by traffic is most distressing. They seem to have very little road sense and panic when confronted by a car. Those of us who understand their panic response to a car find it easy enough to take appropriate evasive action. Sadly many drivers don't have this understanding and drive too fast as well.
    But your girls sure look much loved!
    Ken