Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wherein the poster attempts to achieve a "filmy" effect without plug ins...

Real Name
    Tim

Wherein the poster attempts to achieve a "filmy" effect without plug ins...

Wherein the poster attempts to achieve a "filmy" effect without plug ins...

I spent my time in ACR on this one. I hope the WB is right, I did my best, and if it isn't, I just don't know how.

I boosted saturation selectively for colors in the truck.
    I applied several layers of multiply, screen, and threw in the occasional overlay.

I compared it to a plug in filter and this is very close, but I like it better than the plug in.

I also hope that the truck appears less flat on the page.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Wherein the poster attempts to achieve a "filmy" effect without plug ins...

Nice one, Tim. I like the way you do your post-processing "look". Your image reminded me of the movie "Behind Enemy Lines".

It looks fine to me. With that pure white snow and dark shadows it must have been a very tricky scene to capture so perfectly.

Real Name
    Tim

thank you jiro, as to PP, I used what I was able to pry out of MiniChris. Ever since he fixed up a picture I had taken of some fish, I wanted to learn how he got the effect. I don't think I am there yet, but I was able to get a similar feel on two completely different pics, so I think I am on my way now.

As for the capture, after a couple months of shooting in snow, somebody here finally explained about exposure compensation. This tends to blow out the snow, but captures the subject better. The way I figure it, snow looks blown out to the naked eye anyway. I always wear sunglasses on days like the day this was shot.

Real Name
    Cheri

The picture is very effective and looks 3D. Old vehicles have so much character. Especially taking pictures of old vehicles that have not been fixed up. The snow is very white and the way snow should be. One of the tutorials I had taken mentioned to over expose by two stops to get the proper snow exposure. Well done!