Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Carreg Cennen Castle in the mist

rob marshall

Carreg Cennen Castle in the mist

Carreg Cennen castle near Llandeilo, West Wales. It was shot at sunset this evening, but it was quite misty. processed with CS5 and Silver Efex Pro V2.

See it On Black

Real Name
    Yegor

Re: Carreg Cennen Castle in the mist

Great! can u tell as your method of converting in B&W???

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Lovely Rob. Beautiful composition and excellent management of the greys going through from the grass and trees right back to the hills, castle and then the sky. Very sweet.

Real Name
    Tim

While I really like the overall image, I think that you would get less of a halo effect in the tree branches if you used luminosity sharpening for those areas of the image. This is a tip somebody here gave me, and it really works.

I really love the layers though, the light on the grass up front, the tree line, the castle, the smaller trees along the ridge line.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    While I really like the overall image, I think that you would get less of a halo effect ...
    I'm not seeing a halo effect. Where are you seeing it?

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Lovely Rob. Beautiful composition and excellent management of the greys going through from the grass and trees right back to the hills, castle and then the sky. Very sweet.
    I couldn't agree more! - But I do think Dear Friend, that you have posted in the wrong thread...
    This should be in Katie's music challenge.....

Or am I the only 1 singing ....."Heathcliff, it's me Kathy, I've come home now....oooh oooh oh oh

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Throughout the tree branches especially on the lower left side. I admit to being hypersensitive to this on account of every shot I take has branches in it, it seems. And the luminosity sharpening reduces the effect tremendously.

Rob, this is an outstanding piece of work. It is most opportune that I have just been watching Neil Oliver's A History of Ancient Britain. This image evokes everything that is Britain and its history. I can't see any composition, any halos, any b/w conversion - just the image - the image and what it conjures in the mind of an ancient celt like me transcends any technicalities of photographic trivia.

There is one thing, and I am sorry....but the fence has to go

Around Rob's head. Saint Carregwen of the holy order of the Fyffe Dee McTou
    Last edited by Wirefox; 3rd March 2011 at 09:55 PM.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    Throughout the tree branches especially on the lower left side. I admit to being hypersensitive to this on account of every shot I take has branches in it, it seems. And the luminosity sharpening reduces the effect tremendously.
    Tim

I think you are right (funny, I normally only say that to my wife) I used my High-Pass sharpener as an alternative to USM. I have redone the conversion and used USM. I also got some more detail from the mid-tones/dark areas of the castle hill area.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I couldn't agree more! - But I do think Dear Friend, that you have posted in the wrong thread...

Or am I the only 1 singing ....."Heathcliff, it's me Kathy, I've come home now....oooh oooh oh oh
    Kate Bush!!! And now I come to think of it that red dress she is wearing matches my Panasonic G1 (that I took the shot with) beautifully.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    There is one thing, and I am sorry....but the fence has to go
    Oh well, I suppose so. I might as well add sheep rustling to all the other crimes I'm supposed to have committed in Wales since I've been here. Where did I leave those wire-cutters...

Real Name
    Paul

Fantastic shot Rob.

Real Name
    Tim

Sweet.

Real Name
    Chris

I like the abruptness of the tone shift from very dark and contrasty to soft and kind of mystical, taking the viewer back five or six hundred years. Nicely conveyed.

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post

I don't know, Kay,.... with all of the '70s/'80s musical flashbacks that you, Steve and Raylee are sharing with all of us, I'm starting to worry about the turn that my musical education has been taking since I joined CiC. Also, lately, I've been wondering just how many famous Kates and Katys and kathys exist in the world - they're popping up everywhere. sigh.

You do bring up a really, really good point, though. Do you remember, awaaaaaay back when, we were discussing that lines from songs could be great inspiration for a photograph? I keep thinking that this would be a good starting point for a photo for that (dratted) themed competition. The only inspiring songs that I can think of, at the moment, though, are songs about the ocean and I'm a bit, too, land locked for that.

Rob, I just plain ol' love this!

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Rob, I just plain ol' love this!
    You old sentimentalist, you... I can see you are a sucker for castles, Welsh dragons, mist, ye-olden-times, and handsome knights on flash-git white horses...

Have another one...

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    You old sentimentalist, you... I can see you are a sucker for castles, Welsh dragons, mist, ye-olden-times, and handsome knights on flash-git white horses...

Have another one...

Ack! You got me! I'm in love! sigh. There are even puddles in the road....

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post

Have another one...

Very Very nice.