Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: misty dawn

Real Name
    Ken Outch

misty dawn

Pre-dawn shot of Seymour emerging from an over night mist which filled the valley in which it is located

misty dawn

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: misty dawn

Ken

Lovely idea and good on you for seeing it.

I wondered how close this is to the actual lighting condition that existed at the time. It seems a bit 'vibrant' on my monitor and I wondered what it would be like if the saturation was pulled back just a bit. I think an image like this needs to be quiet and subtle and not so 'in-your-face' vibrant. But that, of course, is a matter of personal taste.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

In answer to your question. The hills in the background behind which the sun is rising are about 11 to 15 kms away from where I took the shot. I was trying to make the colours 'pop' and maybe over did it?
    Thanks for helpful comment.
    Ken

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ken

What we are talking about is artistic interpretation. It's as legitimate to go for that bolder appearance that you have opted for as it is to to take the tone of the hills right down so as to emphasise the distance. It's all about style and personal preferences.

Yes, Ken, my first thought was the same as Donald. If you used a feathered mask (with a soft low opacity brush) you could, with care, have the same level of brightness on the misty areas but leave the sky and hills slightly darker and more natural looking.

But it will only need a very small adjustment to become a stunning photo.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Geoff and Donald
    Tried what you both suggested. Toning down the bright yellow sky does make a big improvement. Softened it into the background with the result that id didn't seem to 'leap out' at you so much.Thank you for help. I was quite pleased with the final result. Almost made it a keeper! LOL
    Ken