Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Supermacro gone wrong

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Supermacro gone wrong

This is a jumping spider (arthropod) I encountered at the gun club last Saturday. It is no more than 4mm by 2 mm. It can jump the equivalent of the empire state building. It landed on my car andf I tried to photograph it with extension tubes inverse prime lens no flash or diffuser as I did not have them with me. I was so happy to see those eyes. It can only get better. C&C please.

Supermacro gone wrong

Supermacro gone wrong

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Supermacro gone wrong

Nasseem

#1 I am not so sure about. There's something about the body not being defined that I don't think works so well.

#2, on the other hand, is stupendous. You processing has, very obviously. contributed to that. However, the realisation that you have captured something that, you advise, is about 4mm x 2mm is, to me, quite breathtaking.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Nasseem,

I do like both but I amwondering how you saw it in the first place.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Nasseem,

I do like both but I amwondering how you saw it in the first place.
    Hi Peter. I certainly would not be able to see it on a dark background. However, my car is metalic grey and it just so happened that I was watching Thomas Shahans site the night before and I said" That is what a jumping spider looks like" . Its miniscule. Its curious and cute and jumps up on your lens. It was just coincidental. Ill do a better job next time I hope.

nasseem

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

This one looks to be just a bubba spider. They have almost translucent bodies and legs at a very juvenile stage and this is possibly what the camera was fighting against. It simply couldn't "see" the wee fella properly. Give him a few weeks and he'll grow and shed skins and harden up and be much more visible.

And you are so right, they are uber cute, even when grown up. Back in the day when we still lived in a house, there was one who lived in our hallway. At first, he was very timid and would rapidly back away when I held my finger out to him but as the days went by he got very tame and would jump onto my finger and peer up at me when I held him up to my face. We would exchange a few pleasantries, then he'd jump off again and womble away. I tried to photograph him a few times, but he'd always jump onto the camera for a wee explore. Fly spray was banned in the house while he lived there.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    This one looks to be just a bubba spider. They have almost translucent bodies and legs at a very juvenile stage and this is possibly what the camera was fighting against. It simply couldn't "see" the wee fella properly. Give him a few weeks and he'll grow and shed skins and harden up and be much more visible.

And you are so right, they are uber cute, even when grown up. Back in the day when we still lived in a house, there was one who lived in our hallway. At first, he was very timid and would rapidly back away when I held my finger out to him but as the days went by he got very tame and would jump onto my finger and peer up at me when I held him up to my face. We would exchange a few pleasantries, then he'd jump off again and womble away. I tried to photograph him a few times, but he'd always jump onto the camera for a wee explore. Fly spray was banned in the house while he lived there.

Kit I dont know how big this species grows to but it was so so so small, I was lucky to get any picture at all. Ill tell you it was a challenge. I wish I had a little critter friend in my house but my wife is an eradicator of anything that flies or that crawls. I am constantly saving spiders etc from her flood of mortein. They always drown before the toxin even penetrates.

Keep shooting.

Nasseem