Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: :D - Rock climbing

Real Name
    Mario

:D - Rock climbing

Sooooo at work yesterday I was asked a very strange question.

Him: "Hey, Mario. You seem to be progressing right along with your pictures!"
    Me: "You think so? Thanks but I've still too much to learn."
    Him: "Well I wanted to ask you, in a month, will you be my photographer when I go rock climbing out in some place/wilderness I don't recall?"
    Me: "Rock?... cl..."
    Him: "Yeah. You don't have to do anything...
    Me: "I guess I could take pictures from below."
    Him: "...except dangle from a rock."
    Me: "Do tasers work on bobcats?... Wait. Dangle from what?"
    Him: "A rock. You'll be in total control, all you have to do is repel."
    -mind you I have a slight fear of heights
    Me: "You're out of your mind! I'm afraid of heights and I'm so clumsy. Mind you that's around the one year anniversary of my head playing bouncy with asphalt and a guard rail at 45mph.... I... *sigh*. Sure."
    Him: "Thanks you're awesome!"

As he walks away I mumble, "but... I'm not even that... good?"

So hey guys... buddies... pals... tips? Pointers? Anything that could

A.) Avoid me from hitting the ground i.e. "don't forget the rope!".
    B.) help me take some clever pictures.
    C.) Both.

I kid mostly. But I would like some ideas on capturing that as well as capturing good landscapes - f14 good enough?

Real Name
    John

Re: :D - Rock climbing

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Xavier View Post
    Sooooo at work yesterday I was asked a very strange question.

Him: "Hey, Mario. You seem to be progressing right along with your pictures!"
    Me: "You think so? Thanks but I've still too much to learn."
    Him: "Well I wanted to ask you, in a month, will you be my photographer when I go rock climbing out in some place/wilderness I don't recall?"
    Me: "Rock?... cl..."
    Him: "Yeah. You don't have to do anything...
    Me: "I guess I could take pictures from below."
    Him: "...except dangle from a rock."
    Me: "Do tasers work on bobcats?... Wait. Dangle from what?"
    Him: "A rock. You'll be in total control, all you have to do is repel."
    -mind you I have a slight fear of heights
    Me: "You're out of your mind! I'm afraid of heights and I'm so clumsy. Mind you that's around the one year anniversary of my head playing bouncy with asphalt and a guard rail at 45mph.... I... *sigh*. Sure."
    Him: "Thanks you're awesome!"

As he walks away I mumble, "but... I'm not even that... good?"

So hey guys... buddies... pals... tips? Pointers? Anything that could

A.) Avoid me from hitting the ground i.e. "don't forget the rope!".
    B.) help me take some clever pictures.
    C.) Both.

I kid mostly. But I would like some ideas on capturing that as well as capturing good landscapes - f14 good enough?
    Is your friend talking about one of those practice walls or the real thing? If he or she is talking about the real thing you need to first get on that practice wall to learn about harness safety, handholding, etc. Then when you are ready you need to learn how to hold the camera with either one hand or both hands free while your dangling and spinning in midair. Have fun.

Real Name
    Robin

Buy one of these - http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/p...he-rest-of-us/ - take a nice comfy chair and sit at the bottom out of harms way. Not only will you get some fantastic angles you will be the coolest bloke alive.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Buy one of these - http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/p...he-rest-of-us/ - take a nice comfy chair and sit at the bottom out of harms way. Not only will you get some fantastic angles you will be the coolest bloke alive.
    COOOOOOL! I'm thinking mount, camera remote, and phone for controls... safe indeed! Thanks Robin

P.S. John, - real rock. You're right I'd better get some kind of training.

Real Name
    Will

Not totally sure about the camera stuff you would need or the climing.

I do know someone who climes for fun (takes his kids with him) and got a climbing wall built in our church gym. I will see if I can get some pointers from him. What I do know is that the climbing in nature is a little harder than on a wall (no dedicated person to spot and repel you).

-Sonic

Real Name
    Chris

Just as a fair warning...don't go rock climbing until you've had good training...it is a dangerous business done badly and even well trained, nasty accidents happen. I lost a brother to this sport years ago and he was quite well trained...and he was attempting to change a lens when he fell. Sorry to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but it can be quite tricky up there, spotter or not.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Just as a fair warning...don't go rock climbing until you've had good training...it is a dangerous business done badly and even well trained, nasty accidents happen. I lost a brother to this sport years ago and he was quite well trained...and he was attempting to change a lens when he fell. Sorry to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but it can be quite tricky up there, spotter or not.
    - sorry for your loss man. That woke me up. Thanks for the reality check. If I can't get some training I won't go. Forget it. If I do find training I'll only use one lens because I don't want to add any other distractions to make things worse.

Bosuns chair or jumars on a fixed rope/s and supervised by a competent second from above. Learn to abseil well. There is absolutely no need to have to climb in the true sense of the word. (unless he is taking you route you should not be on anyway as a beginner) Using a camera will require you to hang back from the face you do not want to be doing that, inexperienced and on a running belay.

Chris so sorry to hear about your brother. I have seen a few nasty falls in the mountains and couple of fatalities but when its your own it must be near impossible to come to terms with.

Real Name
    Chris

It's been over 40 years and it still pangs me when I see a movie or hear of someone wanting to do rock or mountain climbing...it's not the fall that kills anyone, it's that abrupt stop. He knew the dangers and kidded about that last line on many occasions...it is like any other high risk sport..some days just don't go well.
    I just wanted anyone comptemplating that as a sport to understand there are lots of distactions and having a camera and not being an experienced climber is an accident looking for a place to happen.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I'm afraid of heights and I'm so clumsy.
    These words, along with Chris's post about his brother sent a chill down my spine, as I thought of you not just having to deal with a totally unaccustomed fear-making situation, but having to cope with shooting pix as well. Just back off, buddy - there are many other things you can do for people in need, but putting your life at possible risk so someone else can show and tell just shouldn't be in the picture.

And Chris - I'm so sorry to read about your loss. These things just stay with us forever.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    These words, along with Chris's post about his brother sent a chill down my spine, as I thought of you not just having to deal with a totally unaccustomed fear-making situation, but having to cope with shooting pix as well. Just back off, buddy - there are many other things you can do for people in need, but putting your life at possible risk so someone else can show and tell just shouldn't be in the picture.

And Chris - I'm so sorry to read about your loss. These things just stay with us forever.
    Yeah I don't think I'm going now. I can handle dangerous situations. But it's just stupid to place myself in one knowing I'm the perfect candidate for an accident. Thanks guys

Later

Real Name
    Mario

Oh and on my way out the door I looked at my mail from yesterday. 3 letters for Accidental Death and Dismemberment policy offers.

sheesh.... ok life... I get it. I get it. I said I'm not going!