Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: sunset

Real Name
    Ken Outch

sunset

A recent sunset at home behind the hill next to the house. Taken just for the colours of the sky.

sunset

Real Name
    Mario

Re: sunset

I like it. I'm curious to know what that is on the hill. My eyes go right to it. At first I thought it may be a person walking down the other side. I kind of wish the trees were a little more sharper against the sky but that might not have been possible. Either way, nice image.

Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Mario
    Thanks for helpful advice. I was so intent on the sky colours I forgot all about the trees! Typical old codger. Can't multi task!LOL.
    I was a bit concerned that the trees were 'too dark,' and worried about the technical acceptability of this. Would not have been surprised to have been critiqued with something like, " Lose the camera old son and take up another hobby. You are giving the rest of us bad a bad image." LOL But every one has been very kind and most helpful.
    As to what is on the other side of the hill? More hills, a freeway, gum trees, a few cattle and mobs of Kangaroos. Nothing worth boring you with.
    Ken

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    Mario
    .....with something like, " Lose the camera old son and take up another hobby. You are giving the rest of us bad a bad image." LOL But every one has been very kind and most helpful.
    Me again Ken,

Firstly Ken, this forum is set up as a learning centre and you will not find anyone saying get out of here. In fact the opposite, so have confidence in what you produce and never feel put off posting an image for comment. You will only get helpful tips. Sometimes I post an image that I am trying something with just to get the feedback. It’s often a good idea to post images that aren’t your best to learn from others how that image may have been improved.

Just wondering what Colour Space you are using to capture and process images. There is no EXIF data attached to the file so I cannot read it from the post.

This image is fine silhouette but I find the sky a bit flat. This might be that the camera’s light meter has underexposed the shot a bit (as you were shooting into the light) or you might be shooting in Adobe RGB (1998) as your colour space. The internet, and for that matter most commercial photo labs, are set up for sRGB and if you post something in Adobe RGB it will look flat.

So check your shooting mode for Colour Space and if it is sRGB then I suggest your lighten the shot a bit to make the sky glow more.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Peter,
    Guilty as charged M'lud. Using Adobe RBG and jpeg. But I have just switched to processing raw data and trying to learn the ins and outs of its intricacies. Thank you for suport. As I intimated I only post to get feed back on how I might do better. And everyone so far has been very helpful and forthcoming with lots of great tips. This is a great site.
    ken

Real Name
    Peter

You can still do processing in Adobe RGB 98 if you prefer and under Edit>Convert to Profile you change the Colour Space before posting to the web. Another small tip - if you have sharpened your image and then downsize it to post here you will lose some of the sharpening effect and you may need to touch up the sharpening a little before posting.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thank you for tip. I do sharpen and then downsize.