Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Grazing Sheep

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Grazing Sheep

One more from my little burst of activity at the weekend. As always, your thoughts are welcomed.

Grazing Sheep
    40D, EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM @70mm. ISO 100. 1/30@f4 (hand-held). 2-stop GND.

Edit - Should've added - Hand-held because the tripod was about 15m away and I was just wandering looking for the shot. The sheep suddenly were in the right place and that little bit of highlight came onto the cloud just underneath the LH branch. There was no wind so I thought I could go at ISO 100 and open it right up to f4.
    Last edited by Donald; 1st March 2011 at 06:14 PM.

Re: Grazing Sheep

Everything has certainly come together with that shot, Donald.

As you said, when the sheep are perfectly 'arranged' you just have to go for the shot before they move. I have wasted too much time shouting 'Go back' to unresponsive sheep!

Outstanding - you don't do things by halves do you? I really like your use of the 70-200 for these landscapes. I have never been a fan of ultra wide shots and these are doing nothing to change my mind.

1/30@f4 (hand-held). 2-stop GND.
    The wonders of IS. I am curious as to why the GND was needed. I assume it was to avoid blowing the sky (which looks cloudy but bright)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    The wonders of IS. I am curious as to why the GND was needed. I assume it was to avoid blowing the sky (which looks cloudy but bright)
    It was indeed. I had the GND on for the shot I really intended, which was of this tree but from further back and with the whole tree in view. I had seen the shot a few weeks ago and finally the weather was right and I had the time. But then - it just didn't work.

I made a few photographs of it and couldn't work out what was wrong. Then it dawned. Wrong clouds (a bit like the wrong snow that stops our trains running during the winter!). The background (the clouds) just weren't right. I'll go back another day, before the leaves come out

So I gave that up and start wandering about. And this is what resulted.
    Last edited by Donald; 1st March 2011 at 10:11 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Serendipitous moments...the best kind.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Very, very nice work, Donald.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

That's beautiful, Donald. What a great moment to capture. It makes me want to sit under that big tree with my Lucy.

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice shot Donald.

Real Name
    Wendy

Goregeous, I like reading your comments too, it shows how important the details are and that these shots don't just happen - even the walk around ones need all the elements be it clouds or sheep or whatever in just the right spot to make the shot, and I don't know about anyone else, but I find it very difficult to combine so many elements together and get such wonderful compostition.

Still watching and learning
    Wendy

Real Name
    Kay

I think we have all been fleeced - twas not sunlight under yonder cloud or branch...but the strategic placement just out of shot in a precarious position in the branches, of his new toy the 500 EX flash.....with it then wrapping it's soft light around the wee woolly creatures...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I think we have all been fleeced - twas not sunlight under yonder cloud or branch...but the strategic placement just out of shot in a precarious position in the branches, of his new toy the 500 EX flash.....with it then wrapping it's soft light around the wee woolly creatures...
    Damn, I can't pull the wool over her eyes!

Thanks to all for the comments above.