Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Marlow Bridge at Dusk

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Marlow Bridge at Dusk

I have spent quite a bit of time on this one,trying to reduce noise. You can see from the exif. information below I have struggled a bit to get a hand held shot (forgot my tripod).

I have tried both Neat Image and Topaz Noise - anything else I could try?

Marlow Bridge at Dusk

Exif. Shutter: 1/40 Exposure: f/4 ISO: 1600

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Marlow Bridge at Dusk

Chris

Because, I presume, of the work on noise, the image had been left very soft. The buildings and the bridge have very soft edges and are not crisp and sharp.

I don't know what else you could do other than go the naughty corner and write out 100 times 'I shall not forget my tripod'.

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

How right you are Donald. It is a shame as we don't get many evenings of this quality in the winter. Every attempt to de-noise the image has resulted in loss of detail. Never mind back to the drawing board.

Real Name
    Paul

There is a mathematical technique called deconvolution that can sometimes work miracles on a soft image (either that, or it makes things much much worse). See this thread. I tried your image in RawTherapee and got this:

Marlow Bridge at Dusk

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks Paul. I have had a quick look at what at first glance looks a huge and complicated mathematical science and will look at it more closely when I have some time. I have compared your version with mine, which does look sharper, although at such a small size it is difficult to get the full impact. I do notice however that in your version some pixelation has crept in around the church spire.

Thanks for your help and for the interesting new lead.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

I'm very surprised you're not succeeding with Neat Image, what are you sampling on?
    Did you shoot RAW?

This takes me back; back to the 21 March 2009 to be precise, before I had a pukka DSLR, here's my thread with a few shots taken with a Fuji S6500 bridge camera - oh, how apt

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Nice images of the bridge Dave. My shot was taken in RAW, but as far as the Neat Image sampling is concerned I will have to have a look when I get back to my P.C.

You can imagine living in the center of Marlow the bridge, All Saints Church and Marlow Weir are photographed many times ( always seeking that elusive perfect shot. Coincidently put together a slide show on this subject only the other day, which you can see at: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19XcnpNdzVQ&fmt=37