Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New member needs C&C please.

Real Name
    Eon

New member needs C&C please.

Hi Everyone,

My first post, and I am looking forward to hearing your comments as I feel I can learn an awful lot from the quality of the members work I have seen here. Very inspiring. I got my first DSLR camera three weeks ago but have been reading up on the subject for some months.

I have been shooting in manual mode and have submitted these two images for your advice on improvements. These are part of my first shots.

The log shot was taken late in the afternoon.

c-c2.jpg
    The B&W shot (which may seem a strange choice of subject) was more an exercise in trying to work with depth of field and the reflection from the glass.

c-c1.jpg

Thanks in advance for taking a look.
    Eon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donald; 1st March 2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Images posted inline

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: New member needs C&C please.

Welcome to CiC, Eon. Nice subject on the vacuum tubes. Are you into analog amplifiers, too?

As for the tubes, my observation is that the cloth where you put the tubes are getting some attention. To keep the focus on the tubes, I'd probably recommend just a plain black surface to put it on. Try to look at some of Rob Marshalls' work here using perspex material and you'll see how good the effect was. Another suggestion would be for you to use a larger light source by using a big white diffuser on your main light to have a nice specular reflection on the surface of the tubes. I would also try to recommend that you change the orientation of the other tube (the one farther away from the camera) to add more contrast to the image.

Lastly, don't forget to see our tutorials here on how to post your image so we can view it larger. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jiro; 1st March 2011 at 11:21 PM.

Real Name
    Eon

Thanks Jiro,

Really appreciate your comments. I used those tubes from one of my guitar amps. Yes, all my amps are tube/analog. Your advice was fantastic. I had a look at Rob Marshall's work, and wow.... real inspiring. The light and reflections on the perspex just make the finished piece look amazing.
    I'll be sure to check the tutorials,
    Thank you.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Eon

I'd agree with what Willie has said.

Good on you for coming in and posting up images for comment. That's one of the good ways to learn.

I've posted your images inline so they appear at a better size inside the post. Click here to go over the guidelines on how to post images. If you still have problems after reading this, then just shout!

Real Name
    Eon

Hi Donald,

Thanks for your help, and nice to meet you.