Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Not Scotland, not Wales, nor Hastings either.....

Not Scotland, not Wales, nor Hastings either.....

DOH! Who turned out the lights? (Well,......)

Waiting for public transport.

Vermont communications!

What do you think? (Love my swanky B&W conversion in IPHOTO? ....still! argh!) Also, maybe I should mention that these were all shot with the 60mm and moving to get the perfect framing was tricky because of the mountainous, plowed snow piles everywhere.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 28th February 2011 at 01:56 PM.

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: Not Scotland, not Wales, nor Hastings either.....

You've made me laugh Katy. You can't just tease us like this - what's the story behind the bears? They might be bears in #2 but then they might be a gang of beavers, koalas and apes. Why are they hanging out together???

I love the telephone box. There's nothing like the stark contrast of red against the white snow.

R

Real Name
    Mario

agreed with Raylee, the bears are pretty funny. Looks like a really intense snowball fight went down.

Good pictures and a ridiculous amount of snow.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    moving to get the perfect framing was tricky because of the mountains of plowed snow piles everywhere.
    But you've got to suffer for your art!

The first one grabs my attention. It's more than just a fun image (though it is that as well). I could well see that as a poster up on student walls. Quite a hard one to do - keep the snow just this side of being blown at the same time as getting the exposure on the bear just right.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post

Vermont communications!

You can have one of our BT phone boxes as we have just taken all of your Oscars!!!

Colin Firth, Tom Hooper, David Seidler, Christian Bale (he's Welsh!)

I love the bear shot (#1) very funny.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    You can have one of our BT phone boxes
    Another interesting fact (or maybe not) is that because BT (British Telecom) no longer seem to paint these boxes with the frequency they once did and becuase I'm involved with the group that tries to maintain and improve the environment in our village, I painted the one at the bottom of our street last year. Everyone thought I was mad. Maybe I am!

BT are also trying to get rid of them (everyone has a mobile/cell phone nowadays). They offered it to our community and if we accepted, they would then remove the telephone installation inside it (thus, presumably, saving money). One neighbouring village took up the offer and now use the empty space as a public book-lending location. So, it's full of books and people in the community just go in an borrow one if they wish (we're all very honest and trustworthy around here).

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    You've made me laugh Katy. You can't just tease us like this - what's the story behind the bears? They might be bears in #2 but then they might be a gang of beavers, koalas and apes. Why are they hanging out together???
    Choir practice! (There's always one who isn't watching the director!)

...and, I thought that #3 (up above) was funnier (so, I posted that one) but I think that this one is more artistique!

It seems to have a kind of "Narnia" feel, to me.
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 28th February 2011 at 07:07 PM.

Real Name
    Debbie

Good stuff Katy, glad to see you are still keeping a sense of humor as the snow keeps falling and falling (except for the snow, sleet, rain, snow we're supposed to get today). #2 is my favorite. I love those bears, hard to believe its all done with a chainsaw. They seem to be more "conscious" or "alive" when they're in a group. #1 is my second favorite, love the deep browns and you really captured the texture of the wood carving.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Those are great, Katy. Very much New England. I love the red of the phone booth against the white of the snow and the barren trees.

I painted the one at the bottom of our street last year. Everyone thought I was mad.
    Yes but candy pink and yellow stripes is somewhat less than traditional. We call it defacing crown property in England and you can be sentenced deportation to the colonies if found guilty.

One neighbouring village took up the offer and now use the empty space as a public book-lending location. So, it's full of books and people in the community just go in an borrow one if they wish
    Your neighbouring community isn't Balamory by any chance?

Katy, I love the bears and that is certainly the amount of snow that would accumulate if you were to wait for a bus in this neck of the woods

I have even found one of their English cousins. This bear lives in the nature reserve at the back of where we live. The Rangers saw fit to clothe him for the winter or perhaps it was the bear behind

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Love the titles Katy,

Pictures aren't bad either of course.

Call me a purist; I couldn't live with an off-vertical phone box (I know it's really like that), the GPO would never have allowed it - I guess things must be different in Vermont Perhaps the snow plough hit it!

Talking of which, another rankle is the non-standard colours, we don't 'do' white window frames.

Back to the photos; I think #1 is my favourite.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    You can have one of our BT phone boxes as we have just taken all of your Oscars!!!

Colin Firth, Tom Hooper, David Seidler, Christian Bale (he's Welsh!)

I love the bear shot (#1) very funny.
    Don't worry, Rob! I've always been on you guys' side, anyway. I think it started, when I was a young girl, cheering for Chariots of Fire and, moved on to A Room With a View. Then, there was Howard's Endless, etc., etc. and, sigh..., Miss Potter (although, there was an American invasion in that one.) I cannot wait to see The King's Speech! (I've heard that Colin Firth is very "Hollywood", now, though.)

I love the telephone box. There's nothing like the stark contrast of red against the white snow.
    I know what you mean, Raylee (and Mary, too.) It's quite the coveted item in these parts. The man who owns it is trying to sell his business but everyone just wants the phone booth (which he won't part with for love or money) - white painted window edges and all. They don't just spring up like daisies, around here, you know.

Raylee, Mario, Debbie and Steve, I like all of your different takes on that shot. They just crack me up! It IS funny having the whole "gaggle" of them there.

And, I'm glad that you guys liked the first one. I was scared that it was too twee!

oh, and I just came back to say.... Steve, my heart just goes out to that poor bear!
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 28th February 2011 at 08:01 PM.

oh, and I just came back to say.... Steve, my heart just goes out to that poor bear!
    He does look lonely. The Reserve has what they call a Green Safari day each year where all sorts of forgotten woodland crafts are on display; walking sticks, furniture, basket weaving, falconry, ferrets and so on. I watched a guy making these bears - he starts off with a chain saw and gets pretty close to the shape with just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I watched a guy making these bears - he starts off with a chain saw and gets pretty close to the shape with just that.
    That's how these bears are made - with a chainsaw. The man who owns this "shop" has a billowing business and organized (of ALL things) a chainsaw sculpture competition/festival, this past fall - it was quite 'the deal' around these parts. (I'm from the city! HOW did I get here???) Although, he did come out and invite me in for a chat. I don't know, any guy who can paint the front of his building lilac and write "lalalalala" over his door can't be all THAT hick!