Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Approaching

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Rain Approaching

I think I've had a fairly productive weekend. But you are a more objective set of judges of that than I am, so comments on this are welcome.

Rain Approaching
    40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS USM @ 78mm. ISO100. 1/125@f4 (hand-held). 3-stop GND.
    Last edited by Donald; 27th February 2011 at 11:55 PM.

Real Name
    Tim

Re: Rain Approaching

This is a very nice picture. Maybe for my taste, the foreground is a bit mundane compared to the lovely distance. If it were my piece of art, which it isn't, I might try to de-emphasize those puddles. I know they are part of the story, but they draw my eye first, and I notice the lovely horizon only later.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That is a very good point, Tim, which I hadn't considered. Thank you.

Real Name
    Chris

Now, in thisone, I like the less contrasty background....there are times when a good dose of aerial perspective is needed.

Oh, Donald! I really, really like this! Spring! I'm kind of weird and really like mud puddles in roads. I wouldn't change it - it's very evocative. It makes me think of hearing and seeing the raindrops in the puddles and brings the story home - closer. A walk (or a dash - or a plod) in the rain - lovely!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I would be very happy to have taken this, Donald. As always, you have included the seemingly mundane and everyday and have elevated it to a true work of art.

What often gets me about your images is that they are frequently in the lower tones of greys to black, with smaller amounts of lighter greys to white, could be seen as underexposed by some I guess, yet that is what gives them their beauty. You evoke mood so well.....

Real Name
    Paul

Great photo Donald, one of my favorites of yours I think. It would be hard to think of one I don't like from you but this ranks among the best.

Real Name
    Brian

I like it too ... But I do tend to agree with Tim as far as the puddles go.
    But if you are like Katy and like the puddles, then it is perfect. It depends on what you are trying to emphasize I suppose.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Donald,

I have to agree with Tim and when I look at the foreground I see a portrait format (cropping off the right hand side) while the background is landscape format (cropping off the foreground). I think the two conflict.

The road and the hedge draw me out of the image and I find it a visual hurdle to look at the Rain Approaching.
    Last edited by Peter Ryan; 28th February 2011 at 06:13 AM.

Real Name
    Wendy

Great shot Donald. I like it as is and I'm with Katy on the puddles, I love the way the light is hitting them and they stand out in the relative darkness of the rest of the foreground. Very realistic to my experience of this type of day with spotty showers and light. Dark in one spot bright in others. I think Katy explained it better though.

I'm thinking if you wanted to you could make 2 very nice images out of this. I just happened to have it scrolled with the bottom only showing and it was quite striking as a low key (I think) image. Then I tried the same thing with the top and if you cropped just above the top puddle that too would be quite a nice image.

I agree that you had a terrific weekend!!

Wendy

Real Name
    Keith

I like it as it is...I feel the puddles help to draw you into the photograph.
    Nice work ..

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all for those constructive comments. I'm going to apply them all and see what the results might be.

Thank you all for those constructive comments. I'm going to apply them all and see what the results might be.
    Tampering with perfection will only lead to tears This is gallery standard the scene becomes incidental here because this could be a rainy day anywhere in the hills north of Fordton services. It is the capture of the mood that is so inspiring and perfectly done. Rob has a similar way of capturing Welsh coastal scenes. The image lets you feel the place and is you have been lucky enough to walk in these kinds of places in these conditions the images provide so many memories.

Notts/Derbys border - some call it the M1
    Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Tampering with perfection will only lead to tears This is gallery standard the scene becomes incidental here because this could be a rainy day anywhere in the hills north of Fordton services. It is the capture of the mood that is so inspiring and perfectly done. Rob has a similar way of capturing Welsh coastal scenes. The image lets you feel the place and is you have been lucky enough to walk in these kinds of places in these conditions the images provide so many memories.
    I agree with Steve, I really like this composition, my eyes are automatically drawn to the horizon looking for a hint of blue sky

Real Name
    Wendy

Yup, what Steve said! Even though I made some suggestions the original is about as good as it gets.

Wendy

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Nice "earthy" image. I'm OK with the foreground...it's mundane but important to the context.

Chuck

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Okay, I won't then!

Well ... just to satisfy my curiousity, I'll do it when no-one is looking and I won't show you the results.

Real Name
    Tim

"Well ... just to satisfy my curiousity, I'll do it when no-one is looking and I won't show you the results"

Show them to us if you think they are better. Come on, there are bets riding on this!

Real Name
    Chris

Get rid of the power pole, put a couple of ducks in the puddles, turn it upside down, do an image invert and apply 20 alternating layers of screen and multiply...then present exactly what you have and have a nice winning image...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Get rid of the power pole, put a couple of ducks in the puddles, turn it upside down, do an image invert and apply 20 alternating layers of screen and multiply...then present exactly what you have and have a nice winning image...
    That's exactly what I thought ...... but then realised I don't have any stock photos of ducks. So, sorry - no can do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast