Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Silver Efex Pro v2

rob marshall

Silver Efex Pro v2

I see it's out. Has anyone else downloaded it yet?

It looks much better than V1. The presets look more comprehensive. And you can add borders to an image under the new menu item 'finishing adjustments'.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Silver Efex Pro v2

Not yet, Rob

Have you got the free upgrade? Do they tell you when you can download to get it, or do you just download and it knows you've to get it for free? Never sure how these things work.
    Last edited by Donald; 27th February 2011 at 11:43 AM.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Not yet, Rob

Have you got the free upgrade? Do they tell you when you can download to get it, or do you just download and it knows you've to get it for free? Never sure how these things work.
    I think you need this page http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefe..._upgrade.shtml You should get it free as you have just purchased, but you need your key for version 1. You should have had an email (that's how I found out) Check your spam queue.

I had to pay about £83.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I obviously haven't been put in the queue yet. It's telling me my product (version 1) can't be verified. They said on the webinair the other evening that pre-order would be dealt with first.

I only registered mine a couple of days ago.

Real Name
    Chris

I bought the Student/Teacher edition so will have to see what hoops I will have to jump through..but no matter, it will be in my hot little hands by week's end.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I obviously haven't been put in the queue yet. It's telling me my product (version 1) can't be verified. They said on the webinair the other evening that pre-order would be dealt with first.

I only registered mine a couple of days ago.
    Maybe they don't want a crush on their server.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Maybe they don't want a crush on their server.
    That's exactly what their presenter said on the Webinair last Thursday, the day of the launch. So, you, my lucky friend, seem to be near the head of queue.

I'm signed up for Nik's webinair on 23 March on Silver Efex Pro 2, although the one the other day, because it was the day of launch, was turned over to a walk-through SEP2. And it was interesting. The addition of all the extra features on the Control Points seems a great idea.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just lifted the following from the NIK forum (which I've joined just to track the roll-out of SEP2 (I promise that I won't stay as a member and my loyalty to CiC is not under threat!).

On my system - Version 2.0 takes forever to load in CS5 (both 32 and 64 bit), and then process a file (SLOW!); and it crashes Photoshop CS 5 (both 32 and 64 bit). Others are reporting similar problems on FM Forums and DP review.

My advice is to wait until they sort out bugs...The previous version of Silver Efex works just fine
    Of course your comments cause us great pain because soooo many people are already running it trouble-free already. As I mentioned over on the other thread, we had over 400 beta testers as well as a multitude of different systems in our QA lab, all of which checked out OK. There are many things outside of our control that can result in a crash or other issue. We're definitely here to fix any and all issues that come up, so if there is a problem or a question, just let us know.

I apologize, but it's also very difficult to respond with a personalized solution on these boards as there is just no way to collect enough specific information about your software/hardware configurations from the posts. And even if you posted complete info, it wouldn't necessarily apply to the next person.

The best way to get in touch with us is via our web form: www.niksoftware.com/supportrequest That way, we can assign it to the best person to handle your question. Let us help - that's what we're here for "after the sale."

Best,
    Kevin
    Kevin La Rue
    Marketing Manager, Nik Software

rob marshall

Actually, it is taking a longer time to both load and process. I'm on 64bit with 6GB RAM, and it's still slow. Teething troubles!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

How are you folks who have it getting on with SEP2?

Seems most of the world is struggling in one way or another, but a reasonable percentage of people seem to be having no problems.

I'm still waiting to get a product key from Nik Europe for my upgrade.

But, as well as that, I'm not sure that I'll need it. The trial version was running painfully slow. Now it just won't open up at all. I load up Elements with a TIFF and then go to the filter. It starts to load. The little bar gets about a third of the way along the line ... and then it just seizes.

I've been checking CPU usage and that's not the issue. It sometimes spikes up to 80+%, but averages at 25 - 50%.

The posts on the Nik Forum indicate that, as I say above, lots of people are having problems. No-one, including Nik staff, are coming up with solutions.
    Last edited by Donald; 9th March 2011 at 08:03 PM.

rob marshall

Mine is working. But it's taking 10-15 secs to process the BW layer once I've made my selections. It's using quite a lot of CPU while it's processing.

Real Name
    Chris

Well, glad I decided to wait until all the bugs were worked out...I still haven't learned all the tricks in 1.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

It's amazing what writing a post in CiC can do. Without doing anything particularly different, other than taking an hour out to watch something on TV, I now seem to be able to get in and it's working ... slowly, but working! Took 59 seconds to process the conversion and open up again in Elements. And I've got to move the sliders more slowly as the effect of an action is slightly delayed. But ....!

I've already watched all the video tutorials and read all there seems to be to read. And now trying to put it into action. It is an amazingly powerful tool.

Tomorrow morning it probably won't work again!

Real Name
    David

Hi there

I bought SEP at FOCUS on Imaging exhibition 10 days ago and emailed NIK with a query. I got a reply and with it came my product key to obtain the SEP2 download. Have used it without any problems (CS4), it loads quickly and works fine. I just need to learn how to get the best out of it!

It seems to be a fun bit of kit.

Best wishes, David

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Works well in CS5 on my MAC Book Pro 17". Using CS5, Lightroom3 and Aperture.

Slower PSE 8 though. I own the suite and all are well worth having.

Looking forward to utilising them next club season

rob marshall

I have just installed the latest NVIDIA driver for my display card, and my SEP2 processing has speeded up considerably. See my post on Nik user forum http://www.nikforums.com/showthread....ull=1#post2085

Anyone else tried this?

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

I recently bought Silver Efex 1 from B&H. I had to put it in the cart to get the price - $139. I registered it with NIK and a few hours larter received an email from NIK with download instructions and product key for Silver Efex Pro Version 2.

Alan

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanP View Post
    I recently bought Silver Efex 1 from B&H. I had to put it in the cart to get the price - $139. I registered it with NIK and a few hours larter received an email from NIK with download instructions and product key for Silver Efex Pro Version 2.

Alan
    Congrats, Alan. You'll going to enjoy it.