Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Image for Peace C&C please

Real Name
    Emory Winship

Image for Peace C&C please

Image for Peace C&C please

Where Have All the Flowers Gone? (Title)

I’m very interested in the message of this image and would welcome any suggestions for improvement. The question I want the photo to ask is, “If the majority of Americans are against our foreign wars, why doesn’t anyone stand up and shout? Can we in this country only protest for money?”
    Last edited by Emspics; 26th February 2011 at 03:11 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Image for Peace C&C please

I’m very interested in the message of this image and would welcome any suggestions for improvement. The question I want the photo to ask is, “If the majority of Americans are against our foreign wars, why doesn’t anyone stand up and shout? Can we in this country only protest for money?”
    Hi Emory,

It shows how out of touch I am; I thought the cobweb was on a dusty car in a garage somewhere, I was imagining it was an automobile badge (but now I remember the symbol from when I grew up)

I think you're asking a lot to pass on that message with this.

You mention;
    "Americans", but nothing in the image says 'America' to me (a non-US citizen)
    "Foriegn wars", but nothing in the image says that to me either I'm afraid
    "money", but there is nothing financially related in the image
    "why doesn’t anyone stand up and shout" and "protest" - ok I sort of get this; CND, as it was here (represented by this symbol) has, due to the demise of the old enemy that had our governments developing nuclear arsenals and passage of time, fallen by the wayside as evidenced by the dust+cobwebs - that much is clear

The other main subject is a dead wasp, does that have a significance (in USA) I am missing?

So in short, I don't think improving this image (what you asked for) is going to help get that message across.

Sorry, but I think, judging by the lack of response, even with the added commentary this afternoon, people don't know what to say about it. So rather than say nothing, I just blundered in

I don't know if that was helpful ...

Real Name
    Emory Winship

Thanks, Dave. That was helpful. I think I got editorializing and ended up asking way too much literally of the photo. All I really want is the gut impression that we have lost our passion for peace - a feeling so powerful when I wore a peace symbol and marched on Washington against Vietnam. I can also see now that it is a very American issue since we were the country of Vietnam are the only ones who keep invading other people's countries (although we do drag you Brits in whenever we can). "Where have all the flowers gone" is a Vietnam protest song, probably not big in the UK. The crusades should have ended in the 12th century (oops, there I go again). -em
    Last edited by Emspics; 27th February 2011 at 01:41 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Unfortunately, peace simply isn't profitable...and so that goes. (Oh, WASP - White Anglo Saxon Protestant) I don't think we (Americans) go to war because of the profit margin, but we certainly seem to find a way into a lot of other people's business, and they find their way into ours...and so it goes...round and round....as it has since Abel and Cain.

Shoot lots of nice photographs and dwell on the good things you can do to bring smiles to other's faces...save your howling for full moons; I do. Smiles to you and to the rest of the world....Arrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooh

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by emspics View Post
    All I really want is the gut impression that we have lost our passion for peace
    I find the image interesting and the detail in the cobweb is really holds my attention, but what holds my attention more is the dead insect. I think I would have started to pick up on your gut impression as mentioned above (but not your original request) with just the peace sign veiled by the cobweb.