Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Playing with the new lens

Real Name
    Chris

Playing with the new lens

I think you are right, Martyn...I am sure there is a bit of a differnce, but $429 worth...I doubt that very much. Was slated to shoot in the band room but they were having some ceiling issues and had to move out for the day, so instead went to the dance studio.
    None of the girls were in "dress," only practice tights, but it was good practice to see how the lens would perform at different apertures, shutter combinations. So far, I am quite pleased with this lens and the opportunity it provides in shooting in tighter quarters with great sharpness.

Last edited by MiniChris; 25th February 2011 at 10:20 PM.

Real Name
    Martyn

Re: Playing with the new lens

hi Chris they are fantastic, the beauty of that lens is that you can really isolate focus through dof, if i remember rightly the bokeh is nice too, its a great little lens (especially for the price) cheers martyn

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Wow! #2 image is a definite winner for me, Chris. What lens are we discussing here if I may ask?

Real Name
    Chris

One more...Thanks for the comments.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Wow! #2 image is a definite winner for me, Chris. What lens are we discussing here if I may ask?
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF I had a bunch of them I kept when the FM2's they were attached to died. I was in the process of ordering a 1.4 but I don't feel like I am losing enough with the 1.8 to maount to a hill of beans, and free is always better.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Oh, OK. I got interested on the $429.00 price. I have the 50mm 1.8D lens (China). Pretty sharp and a good performer lens from Nikon, and pretty affordable, too.

Real Name
    Chris

Mine is made in Japan though I am not sure if it is any better. Martyn noted to me that shooting at 5.6+ is more optimum than below...I shot the crocus at 1.8 and though sharp, not as sharp as it is with the dancers at 5.6 and 8.

Real Name
    Paul

Chris, #2 is very nice. Nice work.

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks, Paul!

Real Name
    Brian

#2 is definitely a keeper.

Real Name
    Mario

Yes #2 is just incredible to me. Just... wow. I love everything about it. The angle, the pose, the mood, the serenity on her face, the flow, ... on and on...

I want to be able to take pics like this. Very much so! Oh one question, what kind of camera do you use?

Hey speed! Owensboro KY! We're like... neighbors almost (Evansville). I was working with a hip hop artist from Owensboro today actually.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Xavier View Post
    Yes #2 is just incredible to me. Just... wow. I love everything about it. The angle, the pose, the mood, the serenity on her face, the flow, ... on and on...

I want to be able to take pics like this. Very much so! Oh one question, what kind of camera do you use?

Hey speed! Owensboro KY! We're like... neighbors almost (Evansville). I was working with a hip hop artist from Owensboro today actually.
    Nikon D7000, Nikkor 70-210, Nikkor 18-105, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and a Tamron 70-300

Chris, No2 is a truly beautiful image. Forget the lens and the processing a capture like this is down to the photographer

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Chris, No2 is a truly beautiful image. Forget the lens and the processing a capture like this is down to the photographer
    Well, I did hold my tongue just right...

Thank you for your kind words, Steve.

Well, I did hold my tongue just right...
    I swear by tongue posture in photography but I still do not get images like that

Great shots Chris! i love the second! the composition and lighting are wonderful!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I swear by tongue posture in photography but I still do not get images like that
    Ever so often, I do ...but it is more like the old adage of ever so often even a blind pig will find an acorn. I think with a shot like this, it is as much that you are looking for that particular pose, that angle and waiting out the light to be just right. I only made three exposures, two of which didn't focus exactly where I wanted. This was the middle shot.

It is much like I tell my students....the shot will not come to you, you must go find the shot. I am very happy I found this one.

You get incredible images, Steve...just different and I think most everyone on here envy's your graphic skill.