Thread: buying nikon D90 body: What lens can i include with it?

Real Name
    Laine

buying nikon D90 body: What lens can i include with it?

HELP!! i'm planning to buy nikon d90 body this month and i was wondering what lens should i include with my purchase.

here are the lenses that i'm considering:
    ~sigma 18-200 mm HSM OS
    ~Tokina 35mm
    ~Tamron 70-300
    what do you think should i choose?
    or maybe you can suggest a type of lens that is also good for d90?

My budget is around $1200... hope you can help me guiisseee

Re: buying nikon D90 body: What lens can i include with it?

I think your lens you want to buy are not really as good as Nikon's lens.. you should buy Nikon's lens instead of buying third party lens.. even they are cheap, you will feel bad after you use the lens for a few month. Since your budget is $1200, you can buy 18 to 200mm lens and 35mm f1.8 lens

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

You could try reading this article and see if some of his recommended lenses would fit in your style of photography and budget.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm

Good luck!

Real Name
    Peter Eastwood.

I agree with Hanmyohtwe above. To start out with a D90 for non professional use, the 18/200 is the best walkabout lens and the 35mm f1.8 is great for low light conditions.

Real Name
    Peter

Ken Rockwell will have some useful suggestions. For reviews see his site or Thom Hogan's site. The Nikon lenses are not that expensive if you look at a Nikkor 18-105mm VR and 70-300mm VR. I see the combination of D90 and these two lenses for sale for EUR 1,085. That would take you slightly above $1,200 though.

Real Name
    Debbie

When I got my D90 a couple months ago, I took a chance and went with refurbished lenses. The savings allowed me to buy Nikon lenses and 2 instead of 1. I bought from a reputable establishment (B&H photo) with a 90-day return policy. Both of the lenses were "new" and I've had no problems.

Real Name
    Tom

My own version of the poor man's holy trinity would be a Tokina 12-24 f/4; a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8; and a Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6. These lenses by themselves would consume your entire budget. However, all three of them are cheaper than any one of the Nikon holy trinity. If I were angling to put together a poor man's holy trinity kit, I would get the D90 and the Tamron to start with. That would pretty much shoot your budget, but you could grow into the rest. BTW, a good alternative to the Tamron would be the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. If you are mostly interested in landscape and architecture shots, that would be the choice. If you are more interested in portraiture, the 28-75 would be the choice. And some folks would probably replace the Tokina 12-24 with the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. If you get the Tamron 17-50, that would be reasonable. But I personally would find the short range of the 11-16 more limiting than the f/2.8 enabling. FWIW
    Last edited by tclune; 28th April 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typos