Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The combination of hobbies

Real Name
    Paul

The combination of hobbies

can be a learning experience. This weekend I went to play in the dirt and thought I would document the fun. It was just not as easy as I had assumed. lol Jumping in and out of the truck and trying to grab an action shot on the spur of the moment with a combination of high sun, shade, shadows and ever changing terrain! All that I know to do in prep for a shot becomes quite a chore even to remember much less have the time before I miss the shot. Here are a few from my day today. Oh and the dog is a friends, as I turned from another shot.....I see him coming and tried to grab a quick shot. The rock he is jumping from is a good 8ft tall.

Last edited by jeeperman; 21st February 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: The combination of hobbies

Looks like awesome fun! Those jeeps have got some serious suspension!

Real Name
    John

Nice photos, I'd rather be in the photographer's position for this hobby.

Real Name
    Will

Is that a washington or wisconsin license plate?

Looks like a fun thing to take pics of, but I wouldn't like to be the driver!

-Sonic

Real Name
    Paul

It is great fun but I prefer to drive. It requires a lot of trust to be a passenger. This time I was a ride along so that I could consentrate on photos, in hopes for some good ones. Perspective is always difficult. It never looks as big or rough due to not always having a good and safe place to shoot from.
    Will....pretty sure they were all Washington plates.
    Tommy....all of the rigs on this day were Toyoto trucks but yes the suspensions are a must when climbing waterfalls. I was being a trader being I drive a jeep.

Real Name
    Will

I figured due to your location, but the colors on the red truck's plate just seemed wrong.

-Sonic

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic4Spuds View Post
    I figured due to your location, but the colors on the red truck's plate just seemed wrong.

-Sonic
    Hmm, I see that as well. However I believe it to be somewhat do to compression, if I look at that photo as is but before post enlarged to see the plate.....the colors are very close to true.

Real Name
    Will

That explains the colors, thanks for the pics.

-Sonic

PS: my favorite is #5, the action is great, but it could be croped just a little on the bottom I think.

Real Name
    Richard

This just goes to show that photography is one hobby that can be combined with any other hobby. Imagine trying to combine your off-road vehicle hobby with needlecraft! Or fishing with glass-blowing...

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Paul,

You will have to come visit us Downunder. I am about to update to a Toyota HiLux ute and deck it out for outback touring. A friend and I are going to try Tag-A- Long tours to outback locations based mainly on photography but will include camping and 4wheel driving.

Real Name
    Paul

Hi Peter,
    You have no idea how much I would love to do that! Who knows....one of these days. I think your idea is great and look forward to seeing some photos that come from it.
    The HiLux huh, I have many friends whom drive Toyotas and the all want a HiLux. They are not US available from what I hear.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Paul,

Here's a challenge for you.

A mate of mine is planning a trip to the Kimberleys (look at a map of Australia and look at the top of the state of Western Australia) in the middle of next year. Try Googling it as well. This is pretty remote country that is in flood half the year and dry the rest of the time. This will be one great trip and I have asked my partner if she wanted to go but has declined the invitation. So, if you are up for it and can get to Darwin (capital of the Northern Territory) you are welcome to join me – probably a 3 week trip. Camping out mainly but maybe stay in some shearing quarters on some of the large properties out that way.

Real Name
    Paul

That looks to be a fantastic trip Peter. Wish I could make it but it just is not in the cards currently. You will have a great time and see some beautiful spots, I can't wait to see the photos.

Real Name
    Peter

This year we are going through the Simpson Desert (Central Australia). I am not taking my vehicle on this trip but joining my mate. We have 10 other vehicles joining us. This will be a great trip as well. I will post images when I get back.