Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Caught whatever Rob has

Real Name
    Chris

Caught whatever Rob has

And played today inside the greenhouse. I am still struggling somewhat with backlit objects but I think I've done pretty well on this image using a multitude of layer masks/adjustments. Any and all C&C is gladly accepted.

This one is backlit through a sheet of semi-opaque plastic.
    Caught whatever Rob has

This one throught a rain spotted plastic corrogated plastic sheeting.
    Caught whatever Rob has

rob marshall

Re: Caught whatever Rob has

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    This one is backlit through a sheet of semi-opaque plastic.
    Caught whatever Rob has
    This is on the right track, Chris. If you are doing a backlit like this (either ambient or flash light) you just need to get the balance right between the back-light and the front-light. In your example I think the front light isn't strong enough, as it looks a little shadowy.

There are several ways to do this. If you have a diffuser on a flash unit you can use the diffuser surface as the backdrop (if it's large enough to cover the subject) Then use a second flash unit to properly expose the subject from the front (on or near the camera).

Another way is to use natural light for the backdrop, and flash for the front light. This shot http://www.flickr.com/photos/carregw...7623510464833/ was done out-doors (although it looks like a studio shot) on a very sunny day. I used one of those pop-out circular diffuser screens behind the flower, with the sun behind it - that gave the backlight. I then shot it from the front using a flashgun fitted with a small diffuser. There was loads of messy detail around the flower, but the screen hid it all, and diffused the light very well.

A similar method, but indoors, is to tape some translucent material to a window and use that as the backlight. You need a flash though for the front light.

Real Name
    Robin

Thats a very strong and dramatic shot.

Real Name
    Chris

The only flash unit I have at present is the pop up one on the camera and it's pathethic at best...though, I did buy this little flash diffuser panel that hooks on the front. Perhaps I'll go back today and give it a whirl..this is the original file with one screen layer to even out the background plastic sheeting. It looked good yesterday, but have to agree there is a lack of good front light...will have to wait until late afternoon to make the shot as I did yesterday. I might even take a diffused studio lamp with me.
    Thanks for your input. Still working hard and trying to figure it all out.

Caught whatever Rob has

Now looking at it here, I wonder if I didn't overwork it in Silver Efex..hmmmmmmm