Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Advertisement

Real Name
    John

Advertisement

Let's say I am in the market for a camera and I run across this ad. What would entice me to buy the D90 based on the way this ad is presented?

Advertisement

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Advertisement

The ad is a bit vague at first. However, the first price seems to be the camera alone and the second price seems to be the kit. At a quick look, the prices don't seem to be that great however they list them. If I were in the market for a new camera, I would shop at Adorama, B&H, or 17th St. Camera. These places have the best prices and are reliable.

I think that John is referring to the fact that, to a casual observer, the D3100 outperforms the D90 on all of the specs listed, but is nearly half the price.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The ad is a bit vague at first. However, the first price seems to be the camera alone and the second price seems to be the kit. At a quick look, the prices don't seem to be that great however they list them. If I were in the market for a new camera, I would shop at Adorama, B&H, or 17th St. Camera. These places have the best prices and are reliable.
    Both include the kit lenses listed, the camera only price should probably appear somewhere else.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie155 View Post
    I think that John is referring to the fact that, to a casual observer, the D3100 outperforms the D90 on all of the specs listed, but is nearly half the price.
    That's correct, what would make me the consumer choose the D90 based on this ad?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    That's correct, what would make me the consumer choose the D90 based on this ad?
    For the consumer, nothing I think. A serious photographer will do substantial research first.

I'm suspicious as to what company is offering this advertisement. To me it implies that a purchaser only gets the battery if he/she buys the kit.

Real Name
    Martyn

its a weird ad, very misleading , basically telling you that you get this camera plus these add ons, the lower price is in bold (black on yellow is highly noticable),while the higher prices at the bottom are slightly opaque,to offer the battery as an optional extra must mean its a "warehouse" based in Brooklyn NY surely ?
    i would hopefully agree that a buyer would do some serious research as to what exactly they want but when i started out on the DSLR trail i didnt have a clue, first time users arent dependent on brands so its a good idea to flog them two lenses instead of one,
    once you have a couple or more lenses then your more likely to stick with that brand, cheers martyn

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSalo View Post
    For the consumer, nothing I think. A serious photographer will do substantial research first.

I'm suspicious as to what company is offering this advertisement. To me it implies that a purchaser only gets the battery if he/she buys the kit.
    This was a BestBuy ad in a Sunday circular.

Real Name
    Mario

What ^ they've all said! Very misleading.

if I didn't know any better the price difference would prompt me (personally) to research why a D90 is more expensive yet seemingly inferior.

If I were anyone else (impulsively) I'd be all over the D3100.

Real Name
    Sharon

Looks like a Best Buy ad to me. And knowing the average Best Buy customer, they would think the D90 is higher priced so therefore it must be better.