Thread: Working with a Model

Real Name
    Guess

Working with a Model

Hi can I have some C & C Please Thanks

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Working with a Model

I am not sure what you are asking... Did you mean to post an image? I don't see one.

Here are a couple of tips I use for models:

1. I am always professional in my actions when shooting any model. No snide comments, etc...
    2. I never touch a model, rather I direct her movements.
    3. When shooting female models, I like to have another female present for my own safety.
    4. Finally: I always try to act like I know what I am doing, EVEN WHEN I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED...

Real Name
    Guess

Working with a Model

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Joe

I'm no portrait photographer, so am not the person to give you sensible C & C.

But ... have you seen Colin's series of workshops on the subject that he posted up here? If not, then click here for all the links.

Real Name
    Guess

Hi,Sorry the Photo was not there when you viewed ( I'm having a bit of trouble getting to grips with getting the photos onto the site)
    but have managed at last.
    I would welcome any comments you can make regarding the Photo. Thanks Joe

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

it looks like there may be some motion blur action of the model, or her eyes aren't super sharp which is the most important thing. I don't know what your lighting set up was. but in my opinion, I think you could use a touch less light. Other than that, good stuff.

I just started thinking about portraiture, and yesterday was the first time I gave it a go. It wasn't really planned out, more spur of the moment type, but it was still a good learning experience.

Working with a Model

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Blenkinsopp View Post
    Hi,Sorry the Photo was not there when you viewed ( I'm having a bit of trouble getting to grips with getting the photos onto the site)
    but have managed at last.
    I would welcome any comments you can make regarding the Photo. Thanks Joe
    Hi Joe,

Glad to see that you got the image loaded; it's something most people have a an initial problem with, but piece of cake when you get the hang of it.

With regards do the photo ...

1. I see you've placed the subject very close to the brightly coloured backdrop. This has done a couple of things: (a) It's meant that you've got a reasonable hard shadow on the wall behind the subject; you may have wanted this for artistic efect, but regardless, it's caused an issue with ... (b) Colour spill. You'll see how the skin tones in the lower portion of the portrait look relatively normal, but there is a red cast on most of the face. THis is caused by light bouncing off the red wall and back on to the subject. So "artistic effects" aside, I'd suggest moving the subject further away from the wall (or avoiding it altogether).

2. The image isn't very sharp. Not sure if you have a small focusing error and/or poor sharpening workflow. Can talk more about this if you'd like.

3. Bit too much space above the subjects head (it's a common thing people do).

Hope this helps

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by pono View Post
    it looks like there may be some motion blur action of the model, or her eyes aren't super sharp which is the most important thing. I don't know what your lighting set up was. but in my opinion, I think you could use a touch less light. Other than that, good stuff.

I just started thinking about portraiture, and yesterday was the first time I gave it a go. It wasn't really planned out, more spur of the moment type, but it was still a good learning experience.

Working with a Model
    Hi Shane,

I'd suggest a little more fill light slider to reveal more shadow detail ...

Working with a Model

Real Name
    Shane Kupono Costa

That looks good colin. I was using flash, but I hate when the flash is super obvious. I wish I had my poster board reflector. It would have added more light and probably a little warmth too. Thanks.

Real Name
    Guess

Hi Colin thanks for the comments, Until you pointed out the shadow and the red cast I had not even seen them. So no it was not artistic effect as you so kindly said, but not knowing what to really look for in a photo. Again you say the image is not really sharp yet I can not really see that. How can you tell ? the shot was hand held, I know they say we should use a tripod for all shots, I did think about using one but as the people I was sharing the studio with all were taking shots hand held, and to be honest, being new to photography I didn't want to look like the plonker who had to use a tripod when no one else needed one. would I't be possible for you to explain what you mean by poor sharpening workflow ? Regards Joe

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Joe
    I am at one with you here in getting to grips with a sharpening workflow - Colin has been a tremendous help.
    But as a fellow learner here is what I have done to 'help myself'
    - Go to the tutorials/techniques section here and read and study the lessons on sharpening.
    - Go the thread 'clouds' here - there is a link to the word 'sharpening' - print off the threads, you will see a whole lot of question answers that have been very helpful to me, so I hope they can be for you too.
    - Then if your budget can swing it - sign up for the Kelby Training - Colin talked me into it mainly for Portrait retouching techniques....but I have just watched a new video lesson series on sharpening as well - and you can't beat seeing what they do as they tell you!

Anyway sorry to but in - those with experience will be along directly -

Real Name

Hi Colin thanks for the comments, Until you pointed out the shadow and the red cast I had not even seen them. So no it was not artistic effect as you so kindly said, but not knowing what to really look for in a photo. Again you say the image is not really sharp yet I can not really see that. How can you tell ? the shot was hand held, I know they say we should use a tripod for all shots, I did think about using one but as the people I was sharing the studio with all were taking shots hand held, and to be honest, being new to photography I didn't want to look like the plonker who had to use a tripod when no one else needed one. would I't be possible for you to explain what you mean by poor sharpening workflow ? Regards Joe
    Hi Joe,

Don't worry too much about a tripod when shooting in a studio (assuming that they're using stobes), as the strobes freeze the movement to a large degree. Just looking thorough the EXIF data, I see you shot this at 1/25th @ F8; assuming that you're using strobes, you want to be using the highest speed possible that still allows the strobes to sync (I use 1/125th). In this case, 1/25th probably allowed ambient light to creep in, and combined with the fact that you were shooting with a 100mm lens on a crop-factor camera (where a photo with ambient light should have been shot at 1/160th or higher) has meant that you've got a bit of blurring due to camera shake (which is why the image looks a bit blurry).

I've done a quick retouch for you to demo some of the things I'm talking about ...

1. Fixed the colour cast as best I could

2. Cropped away some of the excess background

3. Given the image some sharpening (although in this case I wasn't able to compensate for the softness of the image).

Working with a Model

Real Name
    Guess

Hi Colin Thanks for your tips and all the work you have done on the photo it looks great.Roll on the day I can work out all this for myself.
    Thanks again the work you have done really improves the photo no end..... regards Joe

Real Name

Hi Colin Thanks for your tips and all the work you have done on the photo it looks great.Roll on the day I can work out all this for myself.
    Thanks again the work you have done really improves the photo no end..... regards Joe
    No worries Joe,

Stick with us ... we'll get you there