Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon lens compatibility

Real Name
    Chris

Nikon lens compatibility

A lady came by school today and donated a 70-210 1:4-5.6 AF Nikkor Lens. Itis a nice piece of glass, and from every test I've done so far, there doesn't seem to be any fungus lurking anywhere.

Does anyone know if this will work on my Nikon D7000. I suspect it would require manual focusing and all manual settings, but don't really know. I don't want to experiment and do something bad internally. Any suggestions?

Nikon lens compatibility

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Nikon lens compatibility

D7000 will take then lens just fine. If it is the AF-D, with the little screw slot, all works auto. If not, you will have to shoot in A or M. There also is this comment:
    *** Matrix metering with manual focus lenses in the digital SLRs (D2, D3, D200 and D300) expects you to enter the lens focal length and f/stop in the camera's menus. Otherwise all you get is CW and Spot.
    I think the D7000 allows you to set these parameters, but I'm not positive on that.

It is covered here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/7021056.htm

Pops

ETA: Well, I've gone through all the bags here and mine is apparently out on loan with the D70 at the moment.
    Last edited by PopsPhotos; 18th February 2011 at 03:19 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Well, on that note, I will take it out tomorrow and give it a good shooting exercise....I'm playing hooky from school tomorrow. I have an armload of days to burn that I can't carry over as sick leave and I plan on burning every single one of them....I have several AF Nikkor lenses which fit in Rockwell's list and will try each of them. I have more 50mm 1.8 lenses than I know what to do with.

Real Name
    Robin

You can set 9 none AF lenses up to work with the D7000 though you have to switch between them manually. Once done you get full metering options (though not 3D) and you can use both manual and aperture priority shooting modes.

See here: http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...tibility02.htm

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

You're a very lucky guy, Chris. I think what was given to you has Macro capabilities, too. That's a good lens considering it's price when it was introduced in the market. I belive it will work on your D7000 but you might all the metering options as others have shared here.