Thread: Nikon 60mm AF-S Micro lens

Real Name
    Tom

Nikon 60mm AF-S Micro lens

Just wondered if any of you guys have experience with this lens?

Im drawn to it because it seems like a useful all-rounder ie: Macro focus capability, decent portrait lens, half decent low light capabilities, small and light and a reasonable price for what appears to be a very high performance sharpness/distortion wise.

Am I missing anything? Do you guys have any experience that goes against what I have said? Or any alternatives which I should consider?
    It should be noted that I shoot a D5000 which requires AF-S if you want any kind of autofocus.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Re: Nikon 60mm AF-S Micro lens

Hi Tom.

I don't have experience with this particular lens, but if you are intending to use it for macro work with tiny critters, then you may want to go for something a little longer. Reason being that at 60mm, you will probably have to get very close and if the critter is flighty or scared by your lens proximity it will flee....

I use a 90mm macro lens and still have to get fairly close. I now regret that I didn't go for something 100mm +.

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Tom,

I owned the Canon 60 and 100 macros.I use a Sigma 150 now becasue of the issue Kit mentioned(I shoot mostly insects).For flower shots and general purpose,you can't go wrong with the 60,but to get to 1:1 on the lens you will be about 2" from your subject.

Real Name
    Kathy

No experience with the lens you're talking about, but I do have the Canon equivalent, the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro. I can also categorically support what Jim and Kit are saying: you want something longer if you plan on shooting live things that can crawl, hop, or fly away from you when you loom over them. My non-photography hobbies included (at the time I bought the lens), folding origami, growing miniature roses, and collecting vintage fountain pens, so the 60mm was the right choice for me.

As for doubling as a portrait lens, it can certainly do that. But I actually found I didn't like using my 60 macro for portraits, weirdly because it was too sharp. Every pore, wrinkle, and nose hair delineated in tack sharp fashion. I far prefer shooting portraits with my EF 135mm f/2L USM, or my adapted Planar 100/2, which are also razor sharp, but somehow less clinical about it. But this is merely a matter of taste, and ymmv. And you can always remove sharpness in post-processing more easily than you can add it.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks everyone for your responses. I don't find myself making images of critters very often so effective stalking is not really a concern. I imagine I will be shooting more flora and trying to capture detailed texture in objects, and as ive said travelling light is important to me so the only other lens ive been seriously considering is the 85mm VR, but the lesser build quality and smaller aperture has put me off somewhat.
    The more I talk to people, the more convinced I am that im moving in the right direction with the 6omm.
    Thanks guys ;-)

Tom

Real Name
    Jim

I imagine I will be shooting more flora and trying to capture detailed texture in objects,
    I say,go for it.I think the 60 will fit the purpose very nicely.

Real Name
    Robin

I've used the AF-S 60mm (considered upgrading from my D series one but never seemed to have the cash handy) quite a bit and its a little beauty. Don't discount the 85mm completely - never heard it was a lower build quality and while it may be a stop slower it does have VR.

Sigma have just released an upgraded 105mm fitting it with a OS (same as Nikon's VR) mechanism so before you rush off and buy the 60mm I'd wait and see what price it launches at. Could be the hottest bit of glass this year.

Real Name
    Lynne

Hi All, please forgive this question but I am a complete newbie and have only just bought my first SLR a Nixon D3100.

I would also like to buy a micro lens and from reading this thread it seems that the one mentioned AF-S 60mm would be good for me as I want to do mainly floral work. The camera came with a kit 18-55mm lens and I haven't had time to really explore with this yet, so I might be jumping the gun at bit anyway, but I would like to be ready as the flowers here are just starting to blossom.

However I am embarassed to say I don't even know if only certain lenses fit certain cameras i.e. could I use this micro lens on my camera?

Many thanks in advance.

Lynne

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bettyboo View Post
    Hi All, please forgive this question but I am a complete newbie and have only just bought my first SLR a Nixon D3100.

I would also like to buy a micro lens and from reading this thread it seems that the one mentioned AF-S 60mm would be good for me as I want to do mainly floral work. The camera came with a kit 18-55mm lens and I haven't had time to really explore with this yet, so I might be jumping the gun at bit anyway, but I would like to be ready as the flowers here are just starting to blossom.

However I am embarassed to say I don't even know if only certain lenses fit certain cameras i.e. could I use this micro lens on my camera?

Many thanks in advance.

Lynne
    Lynne

I can't answer your question as I'm a Canon person. But, I'm certain that someone who can will be along in a minute.

My comment is - Don't be embarrassed about asking what you might think is goign to be a 'stupid question'. There is no such thing on CiC. The only 'stupid' bit is for people not to ask the about thing to which they need an answer. So, keep asking.

Different lenses will fit a variety of bodies and I'm pretty sure that this lens will fit your body. But I'll let the experts confirm that one.

Real Name
    Lynne

Many thanks Donald, I really appreciate your comments. I am really enjoying learning about my camera and the first bits about photography and with so much to learn ahead of me it is really nice to have a group like this for support and advice.

Best wishes, Lynne

Real Name
    Robin

Lynne:

All the latest Nikon lenses have the AF-S motors in them so they are fully compatible with your D3100. Only the older AF lenses will cause you a problem, while they will ft and work with the metering,shooting modes you would have to focus manually as you camera (plus the D40/60/60x/3000/5000 models) doesn't have a mechanical focus link in the lens mount. Just look out for the AF-S in the lens description - like - http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...icro60mmf_28g/ - the one you are interested in.

Real Name
    Pops

Lynne, it will work fine. I wonder, however if you would gain much over the 18-55mm, as the 60mm is only 5mm longer. For flowers, the minimum focusing distance is not as important or critical as when photographing insects. The 18-55mm focuses as close as 11" or 0.28m and the 60mm focuses as close as 7.2" or 0.185m. The 60mm is a bit faster (f/2.8 vs f/5.6,) so that is one thing to consider if you commonly take pictures in dim light.

I recommend going to a shop and examining the 60mm. Take your camera, your 18-55mm and a flower. That way you can look through your lens and then through their lens and compare the difference, if noticable. A tabletop tripod will help for this, although not really necessary.

Here is a review of the 60mm:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/60mm-afs.htm

Pops

Real Name
    Lynne

Thank you both for the information and advice, really helpful thank you.