Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help me decide!

Help me decide!

i got asked to enter in a competition for talented teen photographers. the photo that wins gets published in "through the lens" magazine and an article written about the photographer. i need help choosing what photo to enter though! please help! here are some photos that are on my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradsutliff/

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: Help me decide!

Hi

I think Abandoned Train is a really strong photo. Split Paths is really good too. You use leading lines very well.

R

Real Name
    Robin

Row of Graves would be my choice.

Real Name
    Michelle.

Hi.
    My short list choices are - Bridge through the leaves, 2-tonemapped, Bridge HDR, fence1_2_3fused.
    Good luck!
    Michelle.

Real Name
    Chris

Rows of graves and split path show the most artistry in low light. The train shot has good lines to it. On Split path, I'd tend toward straightening the horizon line a bit more clockwise (probably one degree, anyway). I don't like the bridge shot because of the other conflicting figures in the frame. Toned and HDR just don't have much appeal to me though someday, I might give them a go. Good luck, Brad...you are indeed an up and coming teen photo talent!

Real Name
    Will

Split paths is one of my two favorites, I also like bee upclose (I have to say that it is not a bee but a type of wasp, probably a yellow jacket. If you want more specific I will look it up.) partly for the vibrant colors and partly for the detail visible.

-Sonic

thank you all so much for the input! its greatly appreciated! im leaning towards the train myself. but i really like the two graveyard photos i recently took. i want a photo that shows my phototography talent and technique. im not sure which one shows it most. and about the wasp. i think your right. you dont need to look it up in more detail. unless it intrests you! thanks again to all of you!

Real Name
    Richard

Two totally different shots: "Split Paths" and "Woody Offense" with the top vote going to split paths because it is quite an unusual and moody shot... GOOD LUCK!

For me Split Paths is the clear choice and is relevant to the subject matter. However competition judges rarely see the art and are restricted to judging the photography. I am not sure what processing you have used but I would read the rules carefully. Some competitions require you to submit the original file as well as the finished product. It depends on whether it is an art based competition or a photography based competition. You see this time after time where truly excellent and inspired images are passed over because they cannot be measured against set photographic norms. Also check that HDR processed or pseudo HDR images will be accepted. Most comps have a downer on HDR 'style' images.

Very best of luck. I certainly think split paths deserves a fighting chance

Real Name
    Steve

Fence 123 fused. It is everything about landscape; you can see what it is, you can feel a sort of atmosphere and can imagine yourself there.

But that is not everything of course.

thanks for the info wirefox. im pretty sure HDR or not doesnt matter. it doesnt say anything about the type of photo. you just had to take it yourself