Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I Feel Dirty (C&C Please)

Real Name
    Brian

I Feel Dirty (C&C Please)

I feel a little dirty posting this picture...
    It's sad that I am reduced to doing things like this while American Idol is on...
    Anyway, I wanted to do a little more with colored backgrounds. I figured it's just a doll, so why worry about color balance? I used an umbrella flash for the main light with a 3/4 CTO gel high right, an $8 Lowe's shop light for a hair light behind left, a silver reflector low left, and a second flash gelled blue for the background.
    What do you think of the overall lighting?
    Who else is out there taking pictures of baby dolls!??!

Real Name
    Chris

Re: I Feel Dirty (C&C Please)

When I did a color balance off this image, I cam eup with a lsightly brighter image but managed to keep the detail. I did no tother adjustments other than a color balance in the curves dialogue.
    I picked the black from the card, the grey from the same place and the white from the doll's collar.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Chris. I think my monitor is a little bright! I didn't know if you clicked all 3 it would change the brightness too? With everything in full manual when I do this, that would probably help! I adjusted the brightness in DPP.

Real Name
    Brian

How would I go about checking my total exposure when shooting everything in manual?

Real Name
    Chris

I shoot in manual using spot as my meter. I dial into a gray card to set an initial exposure and then dial back either the aperture or shutter to zero out the meter. This is a kinda-sorta-almost verson of shooting Zone. When I open my image in Raw, i take a pop off the white card. You are using the same set of cards I have, but I taped all three of mine on the back side so I can take a broader range of exposure values.

After I've done all my ACR adj's I do a curves adjustment and check each value for its clipping point. From there, it is simply a matter of tweaking here and there with other layer adj layers.

Real Name
    Brian

I can surely check exposures when I'm using ambient light, it's when I'm doing the manual flash stuff that I need some help. You mentioned clipping, so I took a couple of pics and looked at the histograms, that could surely give me a better idea of the total exposure with the flash. I'll have to practice that more. Also, I'll have to turn down the brightness on my monitor
    Thanks for your input.

Real Name
    Kay

Excellent Brian - keep up the good work - I took a doll out with me also today and had him with my grey card stuck on him
    Last edited by wilgk; 17th February 2011 at 05:28 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Haha! I knew there had to be at least one other person out there taking doll pictures
    Thanks Kay.