Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Guess who's been playing in Rob's medicine cabinet?

Real Name
    Raylee

Guess who's been playing in Rob's medicine cabinet?

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari

Please be kind - I'm a sensitive soul...

R

Real Name
    John

Re: Guess who's been playing in Rob's medicine cabinet?

Step away from the medicine cabinet.

I like it, I'd shoot at a higher perspective to give less nostrils though, maybe just a slit for form.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Now, there's a high-key image.

I'm okay with the nose, but it's the balance (or imbalance) of strength between mouth and eyes that I wonder about. For me, the mouth is much stronger and demands more attention than the eyes. Maybe that's fine. But I wonder what impact it would have if the mouth was toned down just a bit and they eyes made a bit stronger.

But, of course, the whole purpose of the image might have been to say something about the mouth (y'know - Women use it too much. Men use it creatively and constructively. That sort of thing!)

ps - Memberships for my fan club for women are still available.
    Last edited by Donald; 16th February 2011 at 09:56 AM.

Real Name
    Jeroen

I really like this Raylee. It looks like separate eyes a nose and a mouth are put together in a white canvas. The eyes and the mouth suit that idea.

Along with the title it reminds me of a collection of the Dutch photographer Marcel van der Vlugt. Especially this photograph:

The entire series can be found at his website under work-> a new day

btw, is it a self portrait?

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks.

I see what you mean John about the perspective. I've discovered it is hard doing self-portraits.

Donald - I'll play around with emphasising either the eyes or the lips. And you are being very cheeky - you might lose some members of your fanclub if you continue with these sorts of comments

Jeroen - yes it's a self-portrait. It was done pretty quickly. I had an idea about red lips that I thought I'd try.

R

Nicely creative, Raylee! It's beautiful and a little bit scary (because it's not just natural - hope you know what I mean), at the same time.

(I think that, somehow, I've already caught a glimpse of a picture of you; so, I already knew that you're gorgeous!)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Raylee,

I appreciate it was done in a rush, it comes across as a little too sad/serious for me - but then I never have been a great fan of the reality of the world, I prefer happy things.

A good effort at a tricky subject/effect though, as you say self portraits are difficult, I did try once and I wasn't happy with the results - not even one I was happy with to use as a minute avatar!

Cheers,

Real Name
    Brian

Pretty cool. Would share your technique with us? I haven't tried that 'high key' look but will someday. I don't know how you get such color in the eyes and lips while blowing out the rest?
    Thanks for posting.

Real Name
    Raylee

Hi Brian

I think I took more time on the PP than I did taking the photo.

I started in Adobe camera raw: exposure increased to 1.05, blacks to 90, contrast to 100. Increasing black brings out the colours. I did a little bit of selective exposure and sharpening adjustment on the lips and eyes.

In Photoshop, I added added sharpening and used selective dodging and burning and finally strong contrast in curves.

I was just playing around with the settings to get something that I though worked. I had this idea of a really white face with red lips and fiddled until I like the result.

Katy and Dave - I know it's not natural or happy but for some reason stylised images appeal to me. I like art and music that's moody and provoking. Sometimes I want music to pump me up, other times I want music to reflect a mood. Strange, I know.

And Katy - who's been telling tales???? Which one of those boys has spilled the beans?

R

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the info