Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Local Graveyard. thoughts?

Local Graveyard. thoughts?

Last edited by BradSut26; 16th February 2011 at 04:34 AM.

Re: Local Graveyard. thoughts?

rob marshall

Brad

The histograms of both shots are showing a lot of black. #1 composition doesn't really work for me - it's a little too 'busy', with nothing specific to focus upon. #2 is a better composition, although the angle seems off - too much skew to the left? With B&W you have to rely much more on light, and especialy the contrast between dark and light areas. Your #2 would benefit from the lighter areas being enhanced to give it more impact. It's a good scene though, and worth trying again. That V-shaped wall gives it lots of depth.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Brad

The histograms of both shots are showing a lot of black. #1 composition doesn't really work for me - it's a little too 'busy', with nothing specific to focus upon. #2 is a better composition, although the angle seems off - too much skew to the left? With B&W you have to rely much more on light, and especialy the contrast between dark and light areas. Your #2 would benefit from the lighter areas being enhanced to give it more impact. It's a good scene though, and worth trying again. That V-shaped wall gives it lots of depth.
    I think it's the flat headstones in the first that takes away the character of what we are familiar with in cemeteries. Using a lower perspective could add more character to the shot. But then again, everyone's perception of a cemetery is different.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Brad

This is all new to me, how can you see the histograms??

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Pez View Post
    If you use Firefox as your browser, there's a plug-in you can install (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ogram%20viewer).

Then you just right click on any image and choose the 'Show Histogram of Image' option.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Brad,

If Histograms are very new, have a read of this thread where I just posted some info about using them and accessing in Elements (if that's any help)

Cheers,

thanks for the comments guys. im going to read that article Dave. im not too informed on histograms

rob marshall

Mark

As Donald said, it's a Firefox add-on. But have a look at this thread too, as it has some other very useful add-ons for forum useage Firefox add-on: Open with Photoshop

Is this better from a levels perspective? its my first edit focused on the levels. i added a gradient because i wanted to try and keep the dark eerie type scene of a graveyard Local Graveyard. thoughts?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by BradSut26 View Post
    Is this better from a levels perspective? its my first edit focused on the levels. i added a gradient because i wanted to try and keep the dark eerie type scene of a graveyard Local Graveyard. thoughts?
    According to the histogram on this new shot, your highest white count (it's like having a blood test, isn't it?) is 205. You can go up to 255.

Did you shoot this in RAW? if you want to post it to http://www.mediafire.com/myfiles.php I could have a go at an edit for you. Or post a high quality JPEG if you didn't shoot it as RAW. Up to you.

i shot it in RAW. i always do so i have more control in PP. ill post it on mediafire. give me a sec

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by BradSut26 View Post
    Mark

That seems to be a jpeg, and it looks as if it's been processed. Do you have the RAW?

sorry. i forgot that i only emailed myself (lol) the processed jpeg out of lightroom. all i have right now is the jpeg format. i can send the RAW format in a few hours